Cheesey things

More
15 years 5 days ago #539 by ravenseyes
Cheesey things was created by ravenseyes
Can anyone tell me if there is somewhere in NZ that stocks cheese curds - for making poutine - it just doesn't taste right without them and Monterey Jack cheese. So far haven't had much luck and even asked at the Fonterra stand at Fielddays and got no where.

Also looking for a bulk supply for Maple Syrup (the real stuff). Bin Inn don't stock it.

Brave Words. I've heard them before from thousands of species across thousands of worlds, since long before you were created, but now, they are all Borg.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 5 days ago #46661 by Midge
Replied by Midge on topic Cheesey things
Andrea has a great knowledge of all things cheese so hopefully she'll see your thread and chip in.

Cheers:)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Cheers[:)]
www.jerseycows.co.nz

More
15 years 5 days ago #46664 by Midge
As I'd never heard of Poutine I googled it and am now having a good giggle. This is from Wikipedia <Poutine (pronounced, roughly, poo-tin> Imagine the kids reaction when dishing this up for dinner;)

I thought you may have needed a special culture to make cheese curds for this dish Ravenseyes but I don't think you would. Reading one of the links from Wikipedia they mention the cheese having a squeaky texture so these curds are probably made from Apple Cider Vinegar and milk. I'll check out one of my cheese making books and post again. If I'm on the right track this is a very easy cheese to make.

www.jerseycows.co.nz

More
15 years 5 days ago #46670 by ravenseyes
Replied by ravenseyes on topic Cheesey things
Poutin is nice :-) although you do not want to think about calories etc while eating it.

Brave Words. I've heard them before from thousands of species across thousands of worlds, since long before you were created, but now, they are all Borg.

More
15 years 5 days ago #46672 by Midge
I really don't think you will locate fresh curds here in NZ so here's a real simple recipe for what I call a squeaky fresh cheese. It's a Latin American cheese and really called Queso Blanco.

Heat one gallon of milk slowly so it doesn't scorch, to 180 F (what's that in C[?])
Maintain this temp for a few minutes.

Slowly add ACVinegar until the curds separate from the whey. It usually takes quarter cup of vinegar to do this.

Pour curds and whey into a cheesecloth lined colander.
Tie the four corners of the cloth into a knot and hang to drain for several hours or until curds stop draining.

The curds will have formed into a block so cut into cubes and store in fridge.

I made this cheese once and it is similar in texture to tofu. Not to my liking, but well travelled vegetarian friends took it off my hands and loved it lightly fried in butter and served with soya sauce and ate it in a heap of other vege type dishes.

I made mine with milk from my cow but guess the commercial milk should suffice. If it doesn't curd easy you may have to add a bit more ACV.

Don't waste the whey from the cheese. Rhodos and the like love it!

Do let's know how you like the Poutine dish.

www.jerseycows.co.nz

Time to create page: 0.184 seconds