Allergies, skin sensitivities and kids!

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #508 by reggit
I reeeeaaaallly hate those ads for antiseptic wipes - you know the ones, where mum wipes everything before she or the children touch it! Hosw the heck did we survive way back when we worried about such things? [}:)]

Having sloshed, grubbed, wallowed my way through an outdoor childhood full of animals without benefit of parental paranoia about every germ (my parents were of American stock who, at the first sign of a neighbourhood child having a kids illness - measles, chickenpox, mumps etc - used to herd their kids into a caravan with the sick child to play for an afternoon, during which they either developed immunity or got the illness themselves [}:)] - common practice back then, at least in the US!) I can't beleive how clean-freakish my friends with small children are - poor little critters aren't allowed to do anything even vaguely mucky and fun! :(

Watched on TV tonight about a child with a major food allergy and they commented that there are growing problems with kids allergic to one food or another. And then I happened across this in today's news, about skin sensitivities and linkages to babies/children being bathed too often http://www.stuff.co.nz/4092626a19716.html

Bring back the mud and the bugs, I say. At this rate it's not going to take a superbug to wipe out human kind, it'll be a mild little bug that hits in a couple of generations time and takes out all those who have never been exposed to bugs of any sort!!

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #46271 by Dream Weaver
I agree Tigger. Although i did used to bath my kids when they were babies nearly every day so it must be what todays mums are using in the baths etc maybe thats helping cause all these allergies etc.
One place that I think that needs a boost when it comes to cleanliness is Hospitols. Standards there seem to be abit slack compared to the days of old lol. A few years ago My Mum ended up getting septisemia after a heart by pass while she was in intensive care. And they do seem to have a few more super bugs than they used to.

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #46285 by wino
Yep agree.

The other thing that intrigued me when my kids were young as if I took them to an emergency doctor rather then their own (which I tended to do every now and then as I was working full time so would realise how sick they were looking out of surgery hours - bad mother!) with a cold the doctor invariably started talking asthma. They weren't (and aren't) asthmatic but it was 'diagnosed' about once every second year for both of them. I mean goodness gracious (and other words) they were wheezing yes - they had a chest cold which I had decided was bad enough to warrant a medical checkup!

Never have a hangover - stay drunk

More
15 years 1 week ago #46305 by Dream Weaver
Agree wino a few years ago they must have got extra brownies from the drug companies for diagnosing asthma lol I also think Amoxil was the first thing a Dr learns to prescribe to lol

More
15 years 1 week ago #46332 by Nancy F
I totally agree.. it is really scary.. and everyone freaks out about the Chicken Flu but I'm pretty sure it will be something pretty simple that gets us all... I'd like to see a heap more cleaning in Hospitals and a lot less in homes...

My friend had brain surgery in Wellington hospital recently and on being flown back to PNth was in isolation.. when I questioned why it was because Wtn hospital had a nasty bug and they didn't want to risk her bringing into the PNth hospital... !!!! what about the open wound into her brain!!!!! aaarrrggghhh.... I was pleased to see her get out of there... what is the world coming to...

My kids are in RUDE health because I'm not fanatical about things.. my husband on the other hand has every allergy known to man/woman/dog (his mum is a fanatical cleaning ex-nurse!!!!!.. make your own assumptions)...

Nancy

More
15 years 1 week ago #46335 by Dream Weaver
Yes wellington hospitol is abit of a shocker.

More
15 years 1 week ago #46349 by WannaB
Interesting article, thanks Tigger for finding. I have to wonder about our sanitised world we live in, and how its suppposed to benefit us? Its far from the "dirt is good" policy, or so it would seem.

Another thing that gets up my nose, is the seemingly over used antibiotics on kids. I dont think I ever had antibiotics until I had surgery as a young adult. Best we were given was disprin or cough mixture. Other than that, you had to cope.

"I love being married. It's so great to find that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life."

Time to create page: 0.237 seconds