Long Hair

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #490 by bev
Long Hair was created by bev
way off topic for animals, but for humans instead, i have very long hair, its almost to my waist again, i gave it a good chop before xmas, but i like it long it covers my kidneys under my clothes
Who else has long hair, and how do you manage it, the last week ive been wakeing up to a barbed wire hair do, i only wash it once a week(twice if ive been dirty), it takes 2-3days to dry fully. Any special knots that make it more managable, its always under some sort of hat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #45850 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Long Hair
I bought satin pillowcases for Bub to sleep on to help reduce the amount of knotting overnight whilst she was wrestling sheep in her dreams....

I also do a low plait with one flat hair tie at the bottom for her before going to bed which helps keep it knot free, and during the day she has to have it up in a pony tail because of school regulation (and it stops her from sucking on an end whilst daydreaming), but I plait it up high again on sports days.

I also find the nylon brushes tend to make things worse as well.

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #45854 by NancyF
Replied by NancyF on topic Long Hair
Having not only long but also madly curly hair on both my daughters I constantly struggle with this (at least mine in pretty straight and easier to cope with...) I've just started using a leave in conditioner .. mainly because we are out of water and this at least saves one lot of rinsing water... that certainly seems to help my hair.. not doing a lot for the madly curly one but that seems like a lost cause... I seem to spend most of my time with my hair just up in a big knot on the top of my hair... hardly seems worth having it long but can't be bothered with the 6 weekly trip to the hairdresser...

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #45858 by ccrk9
Replied by ccrk9 on topic Long Hair
Mine is waist length, very thick and heavy.

I wash it(I use Pert shampoo and conditioner in 1) about every 10 days - seems a long time between washes but since I have moved here it dosent need it more often (unless I have been doing a diry dusty job) - must be the combination of rain water (and interestingly my skin is better since we moved as well:))and no city pollution

At night I plait it, and re do it in the morning. But I have lots of broken wispy bits along the front hair line from having it tied up all the time:(- I cant get a sun hat on when its tied up, but in winter do wear knitted hats when it gets cold. I do tend to get snagged by the odd tree or bush when I'm working under them and can be heard swearing heatedly while I try and get free!

For a few days after I have washed it I dont tie it up at night and it dosent knot up or look to bad, but the longer after a wash the more it gets knotted or hard to brush if I leave it loose at night.

But i still never look all that tidy no matter what I do - and I simply cant afford to have it cut once a month when its short (yes it does grow that fast!)

The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable
living from a small piece of land. ~ Abraham Lincoln ~

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #45859 by Celtic_Kiwi
Replied by Celtic_Kiwi on topic Long Hair
Mine is mid way down my back and thick and wavy. I have taken to wearing a scarf (Exclusive Bretheran style) as it is so windy up here, it gets blown about and knotty. Hubby likes it long, but it hard to manage, I do not want to grow it much longer.

Celtic_Kiwi
AKA Nikki

Tir Na NOg

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #45860 by Clods
Replied by Clods on topic Long Hair
I have waist length hair. I do wash it every other day, and either let it dry naturally or blow dry - doesn't take long to dry. Do it in 5 minutes in the morning. Am blond so if its slightly dirty it really shows up.

I don't ever tie it up - just let it hang loose.

I visit the hair dresser about 3 times a year, get a trim, and some highlights.

2 horses, 15 Chickens, 1 goat, 2 pigs, 1 cat

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #45864 by bev
Replied by bev on topic Long Hair
Ive tried plaiting it, but as soon as i brush it, it goes afro, ill try the satin pillowcases, i hope they are better then the sheets.
I dont really want to cut it, mainly cause i like to rub it in to the family side with baldness, and the daughter, mum and craig certainly dont want me to go back to shaving it.

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #45865 by drifter
Replied by drifter on topic Long Hair
I've just had all mine cut off <sob> as I have a shoulder injury which made caring for it impossible... although I tried for ages.
But, when I did have waist length hair, I found that by ditching my hairbrush my hair was way easier to manage. Wide combs are what you need: the old afro ones are perfect. Leave-in conditioner is a must and loose plaits at night stop most of the tangle.
Also, get your partner, kids, friends etc to do your hair occasionally
I don't know why but it stays snag free longer if someone else does it.

Strange how much you've got to know, Before you know how little you know.

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #45869 by Dream Weaver
Replied by Dream Weaver on topic Long Hair
lmao ya left youself wide open for this, but if you don't want the barbed wire hairdo, the STOP putting your fingers in the wall socketd first thing in the morning lmao.
I used to have my hair long, love it long but I am now having to dye my hair about every 4 weeks and the grays are thinner when they grow so my actual hair is getting thinner (Stop laughing bev....your day will come lol)so mine is now kinda shoulder length and layerd.
Bev I have a mate who has waist length hair, and she has had it long for so long. Last week she had it layerd and mate it looks dam awesome. She still has some of it as long as it was but she said that it feels so much lighter, easier to handle and she looks alive and energised cause she just hasn't now just got lots and lots of thick hanging hair now. Its still long but shaped now.
How about some leave in conditioner or mouse. Or ha ha hey ya could get your mum to knit you a wee night cap that you could wear to bed, she may even put a pom pom on it for you roflmao, and Craig would just love that look.
Last resort, cut it and have it made into a wig, then when you are around family put it on. Any of that help?:)

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #45881 by bev
Replied by bev on topic Long Hair
HAHAHAHAH Smilie your a bloody good dag
i dont have greys, they are natural white highlights :-P
i dye mine too, but it takes 2 packs, im too scared to go to hairdresser, it would cost too much, i guess when spring arrives and it hasnt driven me insane, i may change my style, lol

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #45887 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Long Hair
Trying combing as much as possible instead of brushing, the electricity (or whatever) in the brush causes the afro do. Although I sometimes wet the brush first to get it to "settle" into place for the day. And it works for the child.

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #45894 by Valmai
Replied by Valmai on topic Long Hair
I also have long thick hair (gosh there is a lot of us!!! I thought long hair was out of fashion.) I also recommend a comb, havn't had a brush for yonks. At the moment Im washing it every night, Im spud harvesting and the dust gets everywhere! I think you need to use conditioner every time you wash long hair, it not only makes it easier to manage it makes it feel lighter. Try doing a french plait during the day, that keeps mine reasonably well mannered even on a windy day. As for hats wear one of those baseball peaked caps, put your hair in a pony tail and pull the tail through the gap at the back. That keeps the cap on even in the strongest nor'wester!

Carbon-based biological unit.

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #45905 by Dream Weaver
Replied by Dream Weaver on topic Long Hair
Bev, an alternitive, ya could get Craig to put it in dreads lmao then you could be just like Bob marley mun!!!!
My mate who is a hairdresser (we get freeby cuts colours etc) has always said comb not brush and always use a wide tooth comb to help stop split ends.

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #45907 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Long Hair
I'm glad I'm a guy :D once every few months with a buzz cut and I'm fine {;)] You could try joingin the US marines, free buzz cuts as part of the renumeration package [:P]

On a little more serious note. My younger sis has long hair, last time i saw her just after New Year when she headed south to Otago Uni again it was down past her butt again. As far as I know all she does is brush it and uses ordinary budget/pams/home brand/generic shampoo. it's not too thick, straight fine stuff thats usually a dirty blonde i she hasn't been near a dye bottle. Every so often she washes it out with a lavender/vinegar solution, half fill a 5 litre pot with loose lavender flowers and the top 3" of branch, cover with vinegar and bring to a slow simmer and turn off. let sit until cold then strain & pour into plastic bottles. to use, dilute 1 to 5 and rinse hair after shampooing.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #45920 by Ghilly
Replied by Ghilly on topic Long Hair
Both my parents were hairdressers (dad is a retired barber) and my birthmother was a hairdresser. I think I must have suffered some sort of aversion therapy inadervantly cos I hate the stuff. [}:)]
I keep mine as short as possible. I had it long when I was very young but then it was mums domain and I had no say in the matter. I grew it again a few years ago and I just couldn't look after it. When I mean long I mean shoulder length. It was hopeless. I had to wash it every day or it went into rats tails or as Kim said her mum used to say, a pound of candles. Dreadfull! Now, it's either get Kim on the end of a pair of clippers or I hang over the bath and whizz it off myself into the rubbish bin (which I put in the bath). I have no time for hair at all.
Gets a bit nippy in winter but then, that's what hats are for.:D

Yakut

Time to create page: 0.200 seconds