Gas Bottles for Hot Water

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #557020 by pipearly
Hi there, we are considering changing to gas for our hot water but will need to use gas bottles since we are out of town. We are in the Waipa/Waikato area.
Can anyone give me any info on the following:
- Cheapest providers.
- How long does a 45kg cylinder last approx for hot water heating only.
- Does it work out cheaper than a hot water cylinder?
- Any other useful info/advice you may have.
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #557021 by PatrickHerd
We currently have a gas continuous flow hot water system with 2x 45kg LPG tanks.
For us it works out cheaper to own our own tanks and get them filled at a wholesaler, unsure if there is something equivalent up your way. We currently pay $112.50/45kg and have to transport the tanks to and from ourselves.
With two of us at home we get about 2.5 months out of 45kg in summer and about 1.5 months in winter.
On our short to mid term plan, we're going to replace the gas system with an electric cylinder and wetback. This is for a combination of financial, environmental, and convenience reasons.
With our usage, the wetback and current electricity plan I expect that our hot water will be close enough to free year round.

No doubt I'm going to get a lot of pushback for this :-)

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #557023 by Stikkibeek
We've been on a low user rate for about 10 years now, so it was a bit of a shock to get a letter from our company to advise us that charges are going up by 100% so it remains to be seen how this will affect the monthly charge.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #557024 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic Gas Bottles for Hot Water
as well as low user rate, you can go on "ripple control", but not sure if all power companies allow this? Unfortunately, the current strategy is for power companies to increase their "standing charges" but not the actual cost of electricity per unit. I think that this is in anticipation of the increased uptake of solar panels and also to allow the politicians to say that "the cost of electricity has not gone up". That's why I don't see solar as a viable option unless you go completely "off grid".

The absolute best way to go for water heating is to convert your AC water heater to a DC water heater using solar panels. This is relatively common in Aussie but kept very quiet here. You can do it yourself using your existing electric water heater and 4-6 solar panels and involves running a wire from the panels direct to the element in your existing water tank. You can read more about it HERE. The beauty of it is it does not involve having pipes on the roof and can be done by any electrician.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
3 months 3 weeks ago - 3 months 3 weeks ago #557025 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Gas Bottles for Hot Water
We use gas for hot water and cooking. A 14 kg bottle lasts us for roughly 4-6 weeks for two people.

If you would like the gas to be delivered, check you will comply with the delivery requirements.
These can include heavy vehicle access requirements and not being too great a distance from other customers, and access to and safe positioning of the gas bottle location.
If you want to or have to refill bottles rather than get them delivered, the main recommendation is to not transport in any enclosed vehicle, and not within the passenger cab. If you do need to transport in an encloised vehicle. the maxium size of gas bottle that is recommended to be transported inside an enclosed vehicle is 14 kg. You still can legally do it, but you might get told it is not recommended every time you load it up.
The gas bottle needs to be restrained and in an upright position and not poke out from the vehicle where it might be hit by anything.

Smaller bottles are easier to lift and transport, but need refilling more often and also can ice up as the bottle gets near empty on a cold morning. If there is a rapid draw off of gas, say for several hot showers, the rapid gas draw off suddenly reduces the temperature of the bottle enough to cool what is left of the gas to liquid state and no gas comes out even though there is still some in the bottle. We have had that happen a couple of times with a 14 kg bottle. I imagine it would be worse with 9 kg. Cold shower for the second person. It is more of a risk for small gas bottles, in very cold temperatures or for appliances that use a lot of gas quickly.
Last edit: 3 months 3 weeks ago by Hawkspur.

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #557055 by Blank Reg
Replied by Blank Reg on topic Gas Bottles for Hot Water
...and don't leave a gas bottle in your car long term with the windows done up. If the tap isn't fully closed:

1. Press central locking button.
2. Beep Beep.
3. Bang.

More
2 months 4 weeks ago #557174 by PatrickHerd
For reference I just filled up our 2x 45kg LPG tanks at the wholesaler in Petone: Price has gone up to $2.55 per kg. Last time I filled them six months ago it was $2.45 per kg.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #557225 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Gas Bottles for Hot Water
North Waikato here. Genesis supplies 2 x 45 kg. Rental is $11.38 inc GST per month for 2 cylinders. Just had 2 replacements delivered at $114.26 + GST each.

The current supply is only for hot water with a new Rinnai system. They (2 bottles) lasted a 2 person household with occasional overnight guest for roughly 9 months give or take a couple of weeks.

Here we use the standard BBQ cylinder for our gas indoor hob and outdoor BBQ. We rotate 4, I haven't really taken much notice of how often we change the hob bottle, but I would suggest we go through perhaps 3 per annum... ?

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #557228 by Stikkibeek
We too use standard bottles for our gas Hob. Have three in rotation and one for the BBQ. We don't rent or swappa, so just filling costs. Our last fill was $48.98 and I think that was two bottles.
We go through one bottle from between 5 and 6 months. It's so handy to still be able to boil water for tea, in the event of a power cut.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S
The following user(s) said Thank You: max2

Time to create page: 0.254 seconds