Poultry vets or experienced keepers?

More
5 months 3 weeks ago #556950 by Quantum
I was hoping to ask a knowledgeable person about what went drastically wrong with my chicken earlier this week. She was a bit over a year old, laid large eggs sometimes double yolkers. A few weeks ago we noticed the feathers on her bum (under the vent area) missing. The skin was red but didn't look sore. But the area looked "full" like heavy with eggs if that makes sense? She was acting like the others, eating normally and still laying. Some are moulting at the mo so assumed this was the reason for the lack of feathers. Anyway the area started to reduce in size and feather spikes were beginning to grow. I went out late morning on Friday to find her sitting under a flax with her intestines all hanging out her vent. I immediately called my husband who came straight back from work and within a short while she was gone. Does anyone know what happened to cause this? All the others are fine. Google didn't have anything similar that I could find apart from maybe something called "water belly" but there were no images. Thanks for reading, any thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 months 3 weeks ago #556952 by tonybaker

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Quantum

More
5 months 3 weeks ago #556957 by Quantum
Thank you Tony. Very good info in that article. So sounds like just bad luck as she wasn't overweight. Maybe didn't help that she laid quite large eggs. Glad to see that it is unlikely to happen to any of the others. Unfortunate that it was so sudden and too far gone for us to help her. She was certainly alert and normal the day before. I can post a photo that I took while hubby was getting ready if it may help anyone in the future? Let me know.

Time to create page: 0.236 seconds