Sparrows!

More
9 months 1 day ago #556155 by Fr00tbat
Sparrows! was created by Fr00tbat
Hello folks am hoping someone will be able to help.
We have sparrows nesting under a pergola over our deck and I can’t get rid of them. They shit on the deck and table and scatter nesting material everywhere. Have removed many, many nests, sprayed the area with bleach, with chilli, have tried to block it off with plastic mesh but the little buggers won’t give up. I am ready to try less ‘natural’ methods as they are a pest, and wondered if anyone had any suggestions please. Don’t have a gun.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 months 1 day ago #556160 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Sparrows!
a good cat might help.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
9 months 1 day ago #556161 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic Sparrows!
wow, you are lucky the starlings have not moved in! (yet)

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
9 months 1 day ago #556162 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Sparrows!
Chilli is not going to deter birds, as the hot spicy ingredient capsaicin is not usually detected by them. The theory is that this benefits the plants as birds spread seeds farther than other animals.

You could try these:
birdspikes.co.nz/product/sparrow-bird-spikes

More
8 months 3 weeks ago #556217 by Fr00tbat
Replied by Fr00tbat on topic Sparrows!
Not going to get a cat as the neighbourhood is already overrun with fat tabbys, and they kill native birds.
Spikes unfortunately won’t fit in the gap between the house and pergola, it’s an awkward one!
I have removed two nests in the last week and both had an egg in so that’s two fewer for next year…

• LizZ
8 months 3 weeks ago #556218 by LizZ
Replied by LizZ on topic Sparrows!
Bird spikes and scare tape? The latter will only work for a short while unless you move it constantly, but they'll eventually figure out it's not a threat.

Where is their food source? If it's something you can control and restrict, do so. Lack of food is the best deterrent.

More
8 months 3 weeks ago #556219 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Sparrows!
If there's a gap between the house and pergola, is there enough room to scrunch up wire netting. it may be better than plastic as it's more rigid. If you can use something like that it may prevent the sparrows building there. Unfortunately they will come back to claim territory every year unless you change something to break the chain. If you can't "scrunch and stuff" then maybe tacking wire netting top and bottom would work, but don't leave any gaps at all. A hawk kite might also be an option. The genuine ones are pretty expensive, but this could be a good project to make one. There's plenty about them on the internet.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
8 months 3 weeks ago #556220 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic Sparrows!
I use foam gap filler to keep them out of the chook house. I also use this stuff but it's messy.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

Time to create page: 0.206 seconds