Good Arch Trees for Driveway

More
1 year 1 month ago #554785 by Te Whira
Hi.

I’m looking for recommendations for trees to line a driveway that eventually grow well into an arch-like appearance. Happy to hear about good or not-so-good experiences.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 1 month ago #554786 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Good Arch Trees for Driveway
Long term planning! Excellent. Always remember that you need a big enough arch to get fire fighting appliances in to your burning house!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Te Whira

More
1 year 1 month ago #554787 by Hawkspur
The fire access requirements are definitely worth considering. Fire & Emergency recommend a clear space of 4 m x 4 m for this along your drive, and more at corners/bends. (This should extend to the fire fighting water access point as well, which should be away from any likely fires.) Also allow for them to turn the vehicle.
Emergency vehicle access guide

One option is to walk through the nearest botanic gardens and note which trees have the shape you are looking for, then check those varieties for any annoying habits, like sticky or smelly fruit, a lot of dead leaves, or branches that break easily in wind, and check for suitability for your climate and soil.

This document has a few tree options that are quite elegant and large:

More
1 year 1 month ago #554796 by jeannielea
Ambulance may be more likely and they need plenty of room too!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Te Whira

More
1 year 1 month ago - 1 year 1 month ago #554801 by Hertz Donut
We have Liquidambar trees lining our driveway, they are great for shade over the hot months and put on a nice display in Autumn but drop their fruit (small spiky balls) all over the place that take over a year to decompose. The calves love eating the leaves off the trees when they can reach them.

The trees are planted about 2-3m back from the driveway, which is 4.5m wide. Apparently they can eventually grow taller than 25m and some of the branches are growing over the driveway edges now but I don't know if they'll spread enough to form an archway. Time will tell.

Don't ask me, it was on its side when I got here.
Attachments:
Last edit: 1 year 1 month ago by Hertz Donut.

More
1 year 1 month ago #554802 by Te Whira
Thanks for the information.

More
1 year 1 month ago - 1 year 1 month ago #554803 by Te Whira
Last edit: 1 year 1 month ago by Te Whira. Reason: Double reply

More
1 year 1 month ago #554804 by Te Whira
Wow! They look great. How old are they?

More
1 year 1 month ago #554805 by LongRidge
Our drive is also access for the septic tank cleaner, the water tanker, stock transport vehicles and big tractors to get onto the hay paddocks, and big trucks to carry hay that we have to buy now and then. I have planted the walnuts way too close to the drive, and the totaras that were not milled 150 years ago also overhang the drive. It is a huge nuisance having to prune the overhanging branches high enough. Even standing on a ladder on the HiLux deck is not high enough. If I were doing it again, I would not plant closer than about 10 meters from the edge of the drive, so would have no overhang until the trees were old enough to be tall enough to overhang, about 30 years.

More
1 year 1 month ago - 1 year 1 month ago #554811 by Hertz Donut

Te Whira wrote: Wow! They look great. How old are they?

If you're asking me, I don't actually know, sorry. At a guess I'd say 18-20 years now.

Don't ask me, it was on its side when I got here.
Last edit: 1 year 1 month ago by Hertz Donut.

Time to create page: 0.191 seconds