Rural Broadband

More
1 year 5 months ago #554140 by Te Whira
Rural Broadband was created by Te Whira
Hi. Long time listener, first time caller here.

We are currently building on a beautiful hectare of dirt in Ashhurst and are turning our minds to a rural broadband service.

While we currently stream our music and TV content on a fibre connection, I’m realistic that whatever service we end up with won’t compare.

Does anyone recommend a particular rural ISP?

I’m also reading up on the new global Starlink ISP service which could well be a game changer. Has anyone taken the plunge with this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 5 months ago #554141 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic Rural Broadband
you need to understand how broadband works rather than which ISP you use. There is only so much internet that can pass through the "pipe" near you. If you are lucky enough to be close to the "cabinet" then you will get good speeds. If you are at the end of the pipe, you will be lucky to get 10mbs. Also, if you have a family of heavy users then it will slow even more as there is only so much data thet can get through the pipe.
I would talk to Chorus to see what your situation is. My broadband has improved steadily over the years and I went from 10 to 20mbs as they improved the line and equipment. All of this was due to Chorus and not the ISP, who are only ticket clippers anyway.
I have been with 2Degrees for years and have not had any problems except when a rat ate through the cable!
You should have a piece of grey pipe sticking out of the ground near your entrance, this is where they will connect you up to the pipe. It is important that you check these connections from time to time as they can corrode and slow your service down. Same at the house end of the pipe, there will be a small white box where it connects to the internal wiring.
For a stand alone computer you are best to use ethernet rather than wifi.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
1 year 5 months ago #554142 by Te Whira
Replied by Te Whira on topic Rural Broadband
I should have been clearer. I’m interested in people's experience with wireless rural ISPs. We won’t have a line connection to the property.

More
1 year 5 months ago #554144 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic Rural Broadband
ok, good article HERE

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
1 year 5 months ago #554154 by gmbyrom
Replied by gmbyrom on topic Rural Broadband
How fast do you want?
We just moved to a lifestyle block out of Carterton from an urban section in nearby Featherston. In Featherston we were on Vodafone VDSL which was good but not exactly fibre. Didn't bother us, we were able to stream three streams of HD video (but not 4k) at the same time and we were happy enough, then one day Vodafone sent us a letter to say they were switching us to 4G Wireless. Because, you know, they don't want to pay Chorus for the VDSL cable any more... so they sent us a shiny new 4G wireless modem to use on their own network. It's geolocked so you can't move it.

This went well for us, except for a drop in speed which meant we struggled to reach three HD streams at once. That didn't really matter too much, but I impressed upon Vodafone that we were moving soon, and would we be able to take the new modem with us? No problem, they'll swap the address over and geolock it to the new address. Just take it with you on the day they said.

To their credit, not only did this work perfectly, but in the new rural location the speed is actually faster - presumably because there's fewer users attached to the cell site! Neighbours complain of slow internet being on cable, but we're flying on ours, and back to 3 HD streams at once with no issues. Well done Vodafone.

More
1 year 4 months ago #554377 by chrome
Replied by chrome on topic Rural Broadband
WE also were sent the Vodafone wireless modem to our house in Featherston.
at peak times it could only manage 0.75 download.
After a week or so on moving it around the house they said go back to your old Ultrahub modem.

Have since purchased a place out in Kahutara so may look at revisiting the wireless or moving to Wiz

More
4 months 3 weeks ago - 4 months 3 weeks ago #557056 by Blank Reg
Replied by Blank Reg on topic Rural Broadband
We use StarLink. It's expensive but very good. Up to 200mbps and good enough latency to do online meetings and some online gaming (not if competitive gaming it's your source of income though!). No download limit (unless you take the mickey) You need a pretty clear view of the sky - it won't work if you are surrounded by a forest of tall trees - at least not without a very tall tower.

Mobile wireless will have lower download speeds and a lower download limit but maybe better latency. It will also be cheaper. Using a couple of high gain antennas (at 90 degrees to each other) pointed at the correct tower will help (see gis.geek.nz to help with the guess). If you get a bar or more on your mobile you might be in luck. Convincing the phone company to put your address in their database can be hard if you are at the edge of network coverage. 900MHz (ish) signals go further than the GHz channels. That might be your decider for a provider. Huawei make the best modems, but some of their models are better than others - try and get the best one from the provider when you sign up. They can also piggy back your land line over the wireless to give you a phone number too.

If you have mobile wireless calling (2 degrees do it and maybe vodafone) you can also piggy back your mobile phone over your internet connection for those irritating SMS text security codes everyone uses now. It still comes out of your mobile allowance.
Last edit: 4 months 3 weeks ago by Blank Reg.

More
4 months 3 weeks ago #557058 by Te Whira
Replied by Te Whira on topic Rural Broadband
We moved into the new house three months ago and are using Starlink. It’s a really good service. Faster than our fibre service was in town. I’ve been working from home, regular zoom calls etc with no issues. Highly recommend it.

Time to create page: 0.204 seconds