Lonely lamb located

More
1 year 10 months ago #552338 by Fleurj
Lonely lamb located was created by Fleurj
Hi there I just found one of my 2.5week old twin lambs stuck behind the neighbour's trough. When I retrieved him and put him back with his mum. He appeared disoriented and the ewe wanted nothing to do with him. He's shaking so I have placed a jumper on him near the fire. He won't seem to feed off a bottle. Before today he was super healthy and energetic. Any ideas on how to help him or get him back with his mum would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 10 months ago #552346 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Lonely lamb located
If you don't know how long he was there and he's survived the night, you'll have to feed him!

More
1 year 10 months ago #552370 by Geba
Replied by Geba on topic Lonely lamb located
Hoping your lamb is still alive...

They will learn to feed from a bottle with persistence but it can take a few days for them to get the hang of it. I have found the best method is:

sit down at bucket-height and put lamb between my knees facing forward (ie away from me) so it can't back away

hold lamb's mouth and head with one hand and feed the teat into its mouth with the other. Use a thumb to stroke its throat to encourage swallowing.

Once they work out the milk comes out if they suck, you're away. It can take a little while for them to work it out and, it's strange for them since on Mum once they bunt the teat, the milk comes down, whereas with the bottle they do have to suck with every mouthful.

Make sure the lamb doesn't suck air when the bottle is empty.

If it really won't catch on in a few days, use a big syringe to get at least some milk down its throat (chemists have these).

Good luck :) he will more than likely become your best (and very noisy) friend in no time!

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds