How/where to buy A2 certified cows

More
3 years 7 months ago #552042 by TheCowans
Interested in knowing if anyone on LSB raises and sells certified A2 dairy cows or the best place to purchase them from?

TIA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 7 months ago #552046 by LongRidge
Why do they have to be certified? Why do they have to be dairy cows? Some of my pure Hereford beef cows produce heaps of milk. One is being culled this year because her udder is too big (and she is 10 years old so too old for our hills, and has had an eye taken out because of cancer eye, and she has a bit of a temperament). Testing for A2 is very easy - you just send a tail hair to a laboratory that does the test. But be very careful that they test for A1 rather than A2. The gene for A1/A2 is co-dominant, so a cow with the co-dominant gene produces 50% A1 milk and 50% A2 milk. Back when the laboratories started testing for A2 they only tested for A2, so 50% of the cows that were tested actually had A1/A2. rather than pure A2 :-(.

More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #552050 by TheCowans
Eek I can see how that would have been a nightmare. When I say 'certified' I am talking proof they are 'A2 only' diary producers. I don't mind how it's 'proven', I just need more than verbal confirmation. My spouse was unsure if there was any patenting of the genetic testing so that it might to be unavailable to the general public. We have intolerances to both lactose/protein and have found that A2 with lactase enzymes added is tolerated well in the family. There's no point in us spending money on stock to find them useful only as lawnmowers. We are new to family farming so bear with me and my inadequate use of terminology. We do intend them for consumption when they are past the point of milk production, so tbh I don't really have a preference for meat or dairy, though we are keen on Dexters since they are a smaller breed, rather adorable for a cow and good for both meat and milk.
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by TheCowans.

More
3 years 7 months ago #552058 by Stikkibeek
Piece of cake to have a cow tested. Used to be an expensive test through hamilton lab from blood. Now you can get the milk tested at Te Rapa through the lab and they will do it while you wait, or you can send it in with a neighbouring farmer as test milk is collected from all over the country and tested for a variety of things.
I have a beautiful jersey cow that is A2. She produced a beautiful A2 bull her first year and I advertised him to no reward, and in the end sadly i had to send him for ground beef. Got a mere 4800 for him. Very sad.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S
The following user(s) said Thank You: TheCowans

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds