Grazing Rates ~ Invercargill

More
2 years 6 months ago #549383 by Elley…INV
Hi All,

Can anyone give me an idea of what to change for horses and/or sheep or bulls in Invercargill?

I will shortly have just under 7 acres in Woodlands and will be building a house on it due to start March 2020.

I am looking at renting it out before the build commences and then slightly less during the build. Once the house is built i will then have my own horse, maybe a pony chickens and maybe someone elses horse as well.

One person is keen to rent the land for sheep or bulls, so need a price per head for them please a week.

Then what you would expect to pay for horse grazing?

At present the section has sheep fencing around the outside boundry only and a tree line down the eastside and road access. It is good pasture and free draining. I need to sort water troughs etc.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 6 months ago #549384 by LongRidge
Welcome. I graze lots of other properties and I work on a 50:50 basis (in my mind). But a block that size and the conditions you are going to put on the grazing, it really is you that should be paying the animal owner to keep it cleared for you. Also, during summer and autumn there is plenty of grass around, so the grass does not become valuable until winter and spring, so from May until October in Southland.
For sheep I work it out as follows. Your 7 fertile acres will run about 20 sheep and a ram, which should produce 24 lambs. At current prices, and we are being warned of a 15% drop in value any day as China puts more tarrifs on, these lambs will be worth about $130 each +GST - income tax when sold. $130 x 24 = $3120 /2 = $1560. This will all be used by you to apply lime and fertiliser and weed control. Cattle about the same. Because this grass is absolutely worthless to you and of doubtful value to a grazier for 2 months, I would try to negotiate him putting on some lime and fertiliser when he is doing his place. But in reality it is whatever you can get is what you will get. If there are not many weeds in the pasture sward then leaving the pasture ungrazed ("fallow") is not a bad option for you.
Horses and sheep don't mix, because horses love playing football with sheep. Even horses that "never do it" actually do. It is only that you never see them do it that you think they don't. Usually adult sheep survive being a football, but lambs come off a very bad second. Similarly calves. But it can work well if the cattle and sheep are rotationally grazed with horses. So fences and water are needed before you get cattle and sheep.
Remember that when you lease something out it is no longer under your control, and you have no right of access unless you have a method of negotiating that. Ditto the lessee doing things on the property that you have not been told about. We had a lease where the land owner decided to get the lead out of lead acid batteries. He left the pouches containg the lead sulphate where the animals could eat it. Cattle love lead, 2 died. Another land owner decided to have a fire near where we were grazing a heard of donkeys. 3 died on a Christmas Day, and 2 others took months of treatment to come right. We are currently in trouble with a neighbour because we allowed people onto their property to collect donkey poo from out of the shed we are leasing. She was hugely upset that these people, her neighbours of 2 years that she had not bothered to introduce herself to, had dared to "trespass". We as leasors considered these neighbours of hers and our as doing a job for us, just as a hay contractor or fencer or weed sprayer would have been :-(.

More
2 years 6 months ago #549385 by LongRidge
A better option, if you can find a hay or balage contractor and the paddock has no hidden hazards, and the machinery can get in, is to sell the grass "standing" and let someone make it into hay or balage. Good quality pasture is worth about $1 per small bale, $10 per big "square", $12 per "round" and $16 per "freeman square". By selling it standing the buyer takes the risk of when to get it cut, organising everything, and getting it to his place. My 2 hectares makes about 600 bales so your 3 hectares may make 900 bales. Talk to your farming neighbours about this option, and who they would recommend as a contractor. If not already done, it's time to introduce yourself to everyone, and to tell them what sort of dog you have and to notify you before they shoot it. Dogs can be shot on sight if they are in a paddock with animals in it. It's a shame for the dog if he is chasing rabbits at one end of a 200 acre paddock and the animals are at the other end and see him.

More
2 years 6 months ago #549388 by Elley…INV
Thank you. I won't be moving out until the house is built but selling the standing grass for hay is a great idea.

More
2 years 6 months ago #549394 by Stikkibeek
I can't give you an Invercargill price for horse grazing as I'm near Auckland. We charge $5 a day for horses as they tend to trash the pasture if grazed too long, but they do bring in good money. Our price includes use of yards. Something less than that would be ok, but get in touch with local Pony clubs or horse clubs and see what others pay.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
2 years 6 months ago #549395 by Elley…INV
Thank you. Yes good idea to contact local pony club etc.
I am looking at getting back into riding and having a horse myself when the house is built and i am living out there.
Do you have formal lease agreements and include things like horses must be wormed, clearing poo from paddocks etc?
I had a pony growing up in the UK.

More
2 years 6 months ago #549398 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Grazing Rates ~ Invercargill
We sent our mare off for a short stay recently and although there wasn't a written contract in place, we had to have all immunizations and worming up to date.
I assume as our vet was involved, she probably vouched for us, but certainly, I would want to see the horse's health book which should include the little stickers off the needles for various batches of meds.

Dare I say it, but also keep the payments in front. Horse folk can be notorious for being broke a lot...

More
2 years 6 months ago #549399 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Grazing Rates ~ Invercargill
I also lean to LR's first line of thought too and allow the neighbour ? to graze it down for you. Perhaps then the repayment could be a lamb for the freezer Just be aware the home kill legislation is very firm as to what can and cannot be done and there are people out there trying to set farmers up to break the rules and report them. Be careful who you talk to if this is your way forward.

More
2 years 6 months ago #549401 by Elley…INV
Ok Thanks. Good point re vaccinations.

More
2 years 6 months ago #549406 by Stikkibeek
We didn't have any formal agreement. We did however have two reliable owners who grazed broodmares here and foals were not charged for grazing until weaned if they left them here.
We did have our share of unreliable owners though, in past years. One we had to get the racing club involved and in lieu of unpaid grazing, we asked him to sign the mare over to us (she was well bred) but he refused. We locked the gate and with no lost grazing forthcoming, ended up sending the mare to Jimbo's. Such a waste and very much out of pocket, but at least we got something out of it. The other was a bit doolally and used to turn up at 3 in the morning, shining his car lights around the paddocks. He got a move on when he kept a foal into stallion age, mated it with the mother and then it nearly killed the resulting foal. But he did at least pay. Yes, pays to make sure they are of "good character", but they are out there.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Time to create page: 0.192 seconds