Cow rugs (for cows, not for the floor)

More
3 years 1 month ago #546597 by max2
Some years ago there was a company whose name I'm sure started with H and I thought they were in the Waikato area. They made a number of rugs for cows including hessian type ones.

For the life of me I cannot find them via search engines, only the floor type of cow rugs.

Any thoughts as to who they were/are and if they are still operating?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 1 month ago #546600 by kate
Matamata Saddlery sell them....see here

Web Goddess
The following user(s) said Thank You: max2

More
3 years 1 month ago #546619 by Sue
Have you tried Farmlands? They usually will stock or get things in for you. Also there are cow and calf covers in the Shoof catalogue- page 12. Not the hessian ones though.They are thermal ones for sick cows and the both pvc and lined ones for calves.

Just as a matter of interest I found the covers made for cows, which just had a strap across the back under the tail were for ever slipping off- especially beefy cows with no pointy hip bones! To keep the cows clean when travelling to shows etc I had a couple of canvas ones made, rather like horse covers with straps that crossed under their bellies and fastened on the opposite side. Worked on cows with udders feeding calves-and bulls!
That way they couldn't slip off!
I still have them somewhere, one large cow and a beef yearling size- if anyone is interested they might be available!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
3 years 1 month ago #546633 by max2
Thanks Sue, I would be keen on buying yours if available but I'm not down your way. Perhaps someone closer will take advantage of them?

The hessian/jute fabric is just what I bought from the company at the start but I remember they made all sorts. Those rugs of mine have since long gone, but I would be keen to cover the old girl this coming winter and I remember they were very reasonably priced.

I totally forgot about the shoof catalogue and will be going to field days too. Many thanks for the suggestion.

More
3 years 1 month ago #546638 by Sue
These photos illustrate the covers I had made, out of truck tarp material some years ago. Very durable!

I'm not proud of the animal underneath it!

He was an 18 month bull which I leased and who was sent home skin and bone, by the guy who said he was 'sick'.
Full vet check said he was starved! He had been put in with a couple of fat Hereford cows and 4 horses, who all hogged whatever hay they were given- it was an autumn/winter situation- long story short- we got him fattened up without treatment and he survived.

Considering he had never been haltered or handled he took to the cover straight away without any hi jinks- which can sometimes be an eventful happening when using covers on yearlings even when they have already been handled and brushed and haltered!

If anyone is interested them I could dig them out and measure and photograph and we could talk!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.177 seconds