Latest tech gripe

More
4 years 8 months ago #536245 by Anakei
Latest tech gripe was created by Anakei
Our TV has just died and the TiVo is no longer functional as it has closed down.
So we went shopping for a new system and ended up with a big panasonic TV and a panasonic recorder.
The TV has a great picture but the sound is absolute RUBBISH - not even as good as the 10 year old TV it has replaced. After it was set up by rent-a-geek he said what we really need is a sound bar which is essentially external speakers because the new slimline TVs don't have enough room for proper speakers. Of course the sound bar is going to cost another $300 at least.

Is it too much to expect that a $1000 TV has speakers that actually work? I hate that we are now expected to accept that an essential part of the TV is going to be rubbish unless you spend more to make it acceptable. If a slimline sound bar is required to get acceptable sound then why isn't it included with the TV?

Its made me cross all over again thinking about it :angry: :angry: :angry:

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #536246 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic Latest tech gripe
does the recorder allow the use of surround sound speakers? Is it too late to take the TV back to the retailer?

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
4 years 8 months ago #536248 by Anakei
Replied by Anakei on topic Latest tech gripe
Well, as another example of over-promising and under-delivering it turns out the recorder is on back order and won't be available until mid November, so we don't have it hooked up yet. The recorder had better be compatible as it is also a Panasonic and we bought them together. But then the salesman didn't tell us about the bad sound - we had to find that out for ourselves, so who know?
We have to tweak the aeriel as the picture is breaking up and hope that it will improve the sound. Failing that, rent-a-geek has made a note that the sound was bad and he will recommend that we try another TV. I don't want a whole surround sound set up. (And I don't want to have to buy a sound bar just to get half decent sound from the TV!)

More
4 years 8 months ago #536249 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Latest tech gripe
Just make sure there is no protective plastic stuff over top of the speakers. Couldn't stand the sound of ours until we discovered this stuff, and pulled it off. The panasonic recorder we got with ours is a pile of crap. It jumps channels, is slow to start, over-rides other recording set channels due to a stupid system supposed to make sure you don't lose the end of a programme if the station is running some stuff later than advertised. The fast forward goes so fast the end of the programme that's recorded is more likely to appear, than the next segment after the ads. To make matter worse, the guy who set it up when we moved, changed all my settings for the stereo and now, the dvd player has to be on cassette and doesn't work as well, and a few other annoying things that i wish i could fix.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
4 years 8 months ago #536253 by tonybaker
why not go for the Freeview box? It just works and you can record to your hearts content!

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
4 years 8 months ago #536255 by Anakei
Replied by Anakei on topic Latest tech gripe
I see I should have asked for recommendations before we bought!

We got the panasonic recorder to replace the defunct TiVo and that's what the shop said would do everything, though we can get Netflix and Lightbox on the TV already. What does the Freeview box do?

More
4 years 8 months ago #536265 by tonybaker
What does the Freeview box do? it depends on your needs, the latest one allows you to record two programmes whilst watching a third. It also allows you to pause or rewind a programme as you are watching it. It has a huge hard drive so you can ask it to record as much as you want. There are different boxes for aerials or satellite dishes. It has HDMI plug so is compatible with most gadgets and supports on demand tv. I think there are about 12 channels on Freeview. Most modern tv's come with Freeview built in, but you need to check if it is ok for your area.

More
4 years 7 months ago #536369 by ccrk9
Replied by ccrk9 on topic Latest tech gripe
Same thing happened when my Mums TV died and she decided to just buy a portable DVD player, didn't want tv and couldn't afford freeview aerial etc She gets the dvd player home. no audible sound. Sort of ok with earplugs. Spoke to the shop and took it back, got a new model at another shop where staff were more helpful, she had to buy speakers as these things are not built to be heard without ear plugs which she didn't want. She just wanted it on a small table in front of her.

The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable
living from a small piece of land. ~ Abraham Lincoln ~

Time to create page: 0.204 seconds