OMG I might be an Australian!

More
6 years 9 months ago #534803 by Ruth
Imagine that. I could be like Barnaby Joyce (in more than just liking dogs to bugger off back where they belong), since my father was actually born in Sydney, as I understand to attempt to fudge his actual date of birth because it was not the seemly nine months since his parents had married (this was 1923, after all). Perhaps he was assigned Oz citizenship and perhaps I've inherited it! It would never have occurred to me, as I'm sure it would not to Johnny Depp's biggest fan.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #534805 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic OMG I might be an Australian!
I said that to our aussie daughter too...... I couldn't figure out from the 1news report last night seeing he was born in aussie to an aussie mum and kiwi father, how they can say he is a kiwi citizen.

*that she might be a kiwi citizen now..
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by max2.

More
6 years 9 months ago #534809 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic OMG I might be an Australian!
You never think that there might be things like that you don't even know about your legal status in the world! I guess it doesn't matter very much until you have ticked a form and signed it, so someone can come back and make it bite you later.

Hands up anyone who wasn't living where they were registered to vote, at some time in their lives, for example!

There have been details I haven't bothered to change on some forms, when it hasn't seemed to matter much. I'd be hounded out of any Parliament I was voted into, on recent form in either country!
The following user(s) said Thank You: max2

More
6 years 9 months ago #534812 by max2

Ruth wrote: You never think that there might be things like that you don't even know about your legal status in the world! I guess it doesn't matter very much until you have ticked a form and signed it, so someone can come back and make it bite you later.

!

When she enrolled for university here they tried to have her classed as an international student..... despite living here full time for 8 years prior and 10 years in and out of the country beforehand. Had to provide long standing bank account details (which she had before she moved here f/t) and a letter from immigration to say she fulfilled the NZ residents criteria. Going by BJ's experience, she is a kiwi afterall...

More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #534818 by Stikkibeek
Test to ascertain Australian citizenship.
1. Get cricket ball.
2. Turn cricket pitch into bowling green.
3 Release ball in underarm bowl.
Q. Does it reach batsman bat? If not, you are probably a poor kiwi OAP on a real bowling green.
If yes, You are more than likely an Aussie citizen :whistle:

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by Stikkibeek.

More
6 years 9 months ago #534820 by Anakei
Its all a cunning plan! They won't make it easy for kiwis to become Australian permanent residents so we're are taking over the country by stealth :lol:

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

More
6 years 9 months ago #534824 by Mudlerk
Maybe...but why would we??

More
6 years 9 months ago #534833 by Ahudot
Born in Oz to Kiwi parents working there for a few years, in 1952. Applied for a passport here in 2007 believing myself a kiwi, was stunned to be told I was stateless! Had to jump through an immense number of hoops at substantial cost to get citizenship and a passport. My brother two years younger than me born in same circumstances just got issued a kiwi passport no questions asked. Depends who picks your file up on the day, I think.

More
6 years 9 months ago #534834 by max2

Ahudot wrote: Depends who picks your file up on the day, I think.

I reckon too.

More
6 years 9 months ago #534842 by jeannielea
Ahudot, about 18months ago my two grandsons, born in Aus to kiwi parents had a similar problem. Our daughter was born a Kiwi though her birth was in Singapore. Her husband was born in South Africa but is a Kiwi by naturalisation. So the grandkids could only become citizens via their father. as Sarah was not able to pass it on as she would have had the boys been born in NZ.
Another point - how can anyone revoke a citizenship that is theirs by right of birth? Is this another meaning of being reborn?

More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #534863 by Belle Bosse
You would be in good company if you were an Australian Ruth... hi hi. You should pursue the investigation as to whether or not you are an Aussie!!

Old Joh Bjoelke-Petersen was born in New Zealand, and was an Australian politician and Premier of Queensland for many years. Soon after the major electricity strikes ended in Brisbane, a bumper sticker appeared in his "honour" stating "I NEVER GIVE WAY. JOH TAUGHT ME TO DRIVE."
Barnaby Joyce is politician in the QLD area my parents live. Maybe politicians are afraid that he just might be Kiwi and become QLD's next longest reigning Premier!! Hi hi.

Can you hold dual Citizenship/ Passport with Australia and New Zealand? Something I have to look into...

Surely it can't be more complicated than changing your Australian passport into your married name, only to find your Australian Citizenship under question, and questioned as to even being ELIGIBLE to hold an Australian Passport!
And that is with being born TO Australian parents, IN an Australian Protectorate Territory, WITH Australian Citizenship REGISTERED at birth...

I had to phone Canberra only to be asked:
Have I ever applied for, or held a PNG passport? No.
Have I ever applied for, or held PNG Citizenship? No.
Have I ever sworn an oath of allegiance to PNG? No.
If "yes" to any one of those questions, it would automatically CANCEL my Australian citizenship...!

My family and I proudly represented Australia and saluted the Australian flag as it was lowered during the PNG Independence celebrations. I may have been born in PNG, but Australia was our history, our future, our country.
And to complicate matters, I was married in NZ to a New Zealander... with our marriage registered with the NZ Births, Deaths and Marriages Office, but not registered with the Australian Births Deaths and Marriages Office... didn't know I had to... still don't know if I need to, or if they have been notified.

How confusing can your be??

www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-14/barnaby-j...ent-confirms/8804620
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by Belle Bosse. Reason: added link.

More
6 years 9 months ago #534871 by Mudlerk
In my days as a TV reporter, I covered Joh visiting the Lutheran church in Palmerston North where his father had been pastor. From there, the family went on missionary duty to Tasmania, where they presided over the deaths of the last of Tasmania's native people. Guess that's how Joh got to Aus...and, perhaps, where he developed his ideas about race?

More
6 years 9 months ago #534886 by Bamboo
Belle it is possible to be a dual citizen of NZ and Australia and hold passports for both countries. Depending on where I am travelling my NZ passport gets me in to far more countries without having to formally apply for a visa as we have reciprocal agreements and want to encourage tourism.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Belle Bosse

More
6 years 9 months ago #534909 by tonybaker
it reminds me of a time when an Irishman arrived at Sydney airport and was asked by the customs officer if he had any criminal convictions. The Irishman replied, 'Begorrah, I did not know you still had to be a convict to get into Australia'!!

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
6 years 9 months ago #534926 by Belle Bosse

tonybaker wrote: it reminds me of a time when an Irishman arrived at Sydney airport and was asked by the customs officer if he had any criminal convictions. The Irishman replied, 'Begorrah, I did not know you still had to be a convict to get into Australia'!!

Ha ha Tonybaker... good one!
The Irish have been the butt of many jokes over the years. Deserved or not...They had a really hard time in the early years of Australia's settlement what with the British ruling the roost... but even their own British countrymen received a hard time.

Since 1988's The First Fleet Re-enactment Voyage under sail from England to Sydney, it has been a matter of national pride to have an early Convict or two in the family tree. With just as much pride and admiration for the early free settlers that voluntarily left the British Isles for the unknown and helped build a new nation from scratch.

A really good book on early Australian settlement history is "The Fatal Shore" by Rober Hughes.

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds