DVD not playing

More
4 years 10 months ago #534582 by greenfingers
DVD not playing was created by greenfingers
I have a DVD of the original Charlie and the Chocolate factory. It has always played in our DVD player just fine, but recently when we tried to play it, it won't play.
It's like the player just doesn't recognise that there's a DVD in it at all!
Our DVD player is an old one, LG brand DV472P but this hasn't happened with any of our other DVDs. I've tried playing it through my computer and a friends blu-ray player but they didn't work either - same thing, just like no DVD had been inserted.

Are there any technical people here who have any suggestions on how to get the DVD to work again?

9.5 acres with 300-odd pines and lots of wobbly fences [:D]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #534585 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic DVD not playing
Could be a laser problem (they do wear out) not reading, or may have a minute scratch that is causing the laser to skip.
If your DVD player has a reset on it, (usually shows on the TV) time to get the book out and you could try resetting.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
4 years 10 months ago #534592 by Rokker
Replied by Rokker on topic DVD not playing
Almost certainly either a scratch or a speck of dirt on the DVD. Since the DVD won't play in other machines, and other DVDs play fine in your LG machine, then the problem is with the DVD itself, not the player. It is possible to treat small scratches on DVDs with various products on the market, with variable success. The easiest way is to just replace the DVD with a new copy.

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!

More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #534593 by greenfingers
Replied by greenfingers on topic DVD not playing
Thanks SB, however it's so old that I'm not sure we have the manual anymore!!!!! I'll have to check with the other half...he's good at hanging on to things like that :-)

Rokker, thanks for the info. I pass a video store regularly and know they have a DVD cleaning/polishing service. I'll try them first next time I'm passing. I've had a look for a replacement, but only seem to be able to find the more recent version with Johnny Depp, which my kids don't like! I'll keep trying :-)

9.5 acres with 300-odd pines and lots of wobbly fences [:D]
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by greenfingers.

More
4 years 10 months ago #534594 by Rokker
Replied by Rokker on topic DVD not playing

greenfingers wrote: I've had a look for a replacement, but only seem to be able to find the more recent version with Johnny Depp, which my kids don't like! I'll keep trying :-)

Your kids have great taste! The Gene Wilder version is certainly the best! :cheer:

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!

More
4 years 10 months ago #534598 by kai
Replied by kai on topic DVD not playing
If it is only one DVD not playing, rather than the player not working, then wash the dvd with washing up liquid and dry with a lint free cloth.

More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #534601 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic DVD not playing
if your player handles other DVD's then its the disk that is faulty. You can buy a new copy of the DVD on Trade Me for $14.
As a DVD player gets older, the lens in it will start to play up and you will only be able to play disks that are in good condition. There will be plenty of players available at a recycle centre near you.
Failing all that, try burning a copy on your PC, it may be able to read the disk.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by tonybaker.

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #535632 by Ken001
Replied by Ken001 on topic DVD not playing
It is frustrating and no help to tell you that this often happens. I have an LG Blueray player which often refuses rental disks. Eg, the first disk of 3 in a series but not disks 2 and 3.

What I do is polish the disk in a circular motion on a towel or cloth. Sometimes it works. To be more aggressive use Jif in a circular motion.

Edit - .Not in a circular motion, wipe from the inside out.

Sometime the laser will have a speck of dust on it. Blowing through the slot or indeed sucking with a vacuum can be enough.

FWIW we have a 10yr old DVD player (which also plays VHS) and it seems to play anything. So it is used as a last choice. The quality is analogue but hey. :D
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Ken001. Reason: My bad

More
4 years 9 months ago #535646 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic DVD not playing
Any time you rub or wipe a CD/DVD, you should start at or near the center of the disc and then rubbing straight outward toward the edge to prevent scratching. Don't rub in a circular motion.
It's most likely the lense that is getting weak, they can be replaced or cleaned.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
4 years 9 months ago #535710 by Ken001
Replied by Ken001 on topic DVD not playing

tonybaker wrote: Any time you rub or wipe a CD/DVD, you should start at or near the center of the disc and then rubbing straight outward toward the edge to prevent scratching. Don't rub in a circular motion.

Yes and I apologise. You are correct. Rubbing to the outside and across the disk is the right way. I'd been told the other but live and learn.

Apparently window glass cleaner is effective. And toothpaste.

Time to create page: 0.242 seconds