paddock mowing/mulching

More
6 years 9 months ago #533575 by AprilB
Hi- thought i would ask if there is anyone that knows any operators that are in the Rangitikei/Manawatu/Whangaui area that can be paid to mulch/mow a few acres- situated out from the Hunterville township, lower north island.
Its aprox 4 arces with 40 percent blackberry and 10 percent gorse the rest in long grass, some flat land but mostly contoured with some steep parts, I cant seem to find anyone that is in the area here to do the job- there are plenty of operators further north but apparently none in Manawatu/Whanganui region. Ever hopeful..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 9 months ago #533635 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic paddock mowing/mulching
you probably need a flail mower for this. Contractors will be concerned about bits of metal fencing and rocks/holes so go around and check, especially next to fence lines. Must be someone in the Yellow Pages?

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
6 years 9 months ago #533637 by AprilB
Replied by AprilB on topic paddock mowing/mulching
Hi thanks for the reply, I have tried the yellow pages but theres nothing around local that will come over. I know what you mean regarding metal or objects about the property but its pretty clear actually as theres been no activity there for a few years now. Though I would walk the boundaries to make sure. I have contacted a number of places but none prepared to travel over so I had hoped there might of been someone that knew someone..word of mouth sometimes works better than anything else. I had one chap from Levin ways that said he would come up but he never arrived and another chap from Auckland but that was at a cost of $5000 which is extreme becos of the travel, so I am not taking that option. Any other suggestions? Its too big a job for weed eaters I think.

More
6 years 9 months ago #533638 by Rokker
Replied by Rokker on topic paddock mowing/mulching
Have you tried Treescape? They have a depot in Bulls.

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!

More
6 years 9 months ago #533663 by AprilB
Hi. Thanks for that, much appreciated. I have contacted them and I am waiting to hear back from them to see whether they can do it and what the costs may be as well. I will come and say happens regarding my contact with them.
April

More
6 years 9 months ago #533669 by VioletFarmer
What is your plan for the 4 acres? Someone may be more easily enticed to just mow or mulch the grassy areas- and get a spray contractor in to deal to the gorse and blackberry after that? Depending on your time frame, 10% gorse of 4 acres could be chain sawed, a wee bit at a time and piled up and burned- would take a week or 2 of hard yakka- but if you aren't in a hurry- do able. Goats love blackberry! Im surprised a local farmer wouldn't have a tractor with mower for the flatter areas- have you door knocked any neighbours? Depending how wet it has been where you are lately- people may be weary of mowing on steep areas till its drier too. Good luck- I have heard of good results by using a heavy roller over gorse and blackberry too- with a follow up spray.

More
6 years 9 months ago #533671 by AprilB
Hi what is needed I think is a flail mower/mulcher - it would be just chew thru the blackberry and the gorse. Appreciate the comments, but it really does seem the machinery is not available down this way - hence the need to ask on line to see if anyone knew of a work crew..hardcase that the machinery needed is more available out from Auckland city than in the country area down this end of the island.

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #534372 by little red digger

Dave and Ruth, Oxford Contracting
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by little red digger. Reason: spelling error

More
6 years 8 months ago #534405 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic paddock mowing/mulching
Back when I was younger, 1 hectare of blackberry would have been no trouble with a 50 cc Husqvana scrubcutter with the right blade. Nowadays I would spray the blackberry and gorse with Grazon, fertilise properly for pasture, then stock with cattle in spring after the blackberry and gorse has hardened up. Unless you are going to provide nutrients for whatever crop that you want to grow, slashing is a waste of time because all that will want to grow are the weeds and their seeds.

More
6 years 8 months ago #534415 by Ricey
Replied by Ricey on topic paddock mowing/mulching
i dont really know about this, but have you considered a few goats?
They seem to eat most things

More
6 years 8 months ago #534429 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic paddock mowing/mulching
Hi Ricey, about goats the answer is definity no for a number of reasons.Goats will try anything but they need enough energy to stay alive. In rank grass, dormant blackberry and tall gorse there is not enough energy unless they are supplementary fed. To clear weeds with goats, they need to be very hungry, so you should expect about 25% of them to die from starvation to get a good clearance. This of course is unacceptable :-(. When goats are very hungry, and sometimes anyway, they jump or push their way through fences. I had some that pushed their way underneath a new deer fence. When I stopped that they put their head though the netting and pushed until the uprights moved wide enough to get through :-(. Except those that thought they were trapped and tried to push backwards and got their horns caught in the netting :-(.
So when used for clearing weeds goats need very close attention. But when the weeds are under control then goats are an excellent way to not have to spray to prevent the weeds from getting out of hand. If goats were easier to keep in, easier to keep healthy, easier to transport on trucks and to process when they got to the freezing works, NZ could save most of the $1.8 billion that weeds currently cost.

Time to create page: 0.132 seconds