Can you eat pregnant sheep?

More
5 years 1 week ago #533478 by Jo170983
Hi there, we didn't realise our lambs could get pregnant so early and had them in with the ram, they are 6-8mths old. Have separated now but worried they may be pregnant but plan on homekill in a few months. How do we know if they are pregnant and can you still get them killed and eat them pregnant? #amateurs..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 1 week ago #533481 by Rokker
Replied by Rokker on topic Can you eat pregnant sheep?
You can get them pregnancy tested by your vet. But why would you want to kill them before they lamb? You only have to wait 21 weeks and you'll have your replacements.

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!

More
5 years 1 week ago #533482 by Jo170983
We dont have enough land/grass to keep them alive through the winter months... can you get them killed when pregnant - if they are? Also is it safe to have two rams in one paddock? Thank you for your response

More
5 years 1 week ago #533484 by LongRidge
Pregnant animals are fine to eat, and some people prefer them to be. I haven't eaten a pregnant sheep or cow, as far as I know, but I've been told it has a sweeter flavour.
If you can keep them until after they have lambed, they become very valuable when sold as ewe and lamb together, at about a week old.
My rams are all in together for most of the year, but they do bash heads after they have been shorn. They don't recognise the sight or perhaps the smell of each other. They fight each other when the ewes are in oestrus, for most ewes January until June. If they know each other then they don't do much fighting. One year I had a ram get out of the ram paddock, and he got very upset until he was back with his friends. We keep our rams away from every ewe except when we want lambing to start 5 months later. We keep the rams with the ewes for 54 days.
If your rams are lambs that are also to become human food, wait until September or October to kill them so that most of thee ram scent and flavour has gone.

More
5 years 1 week ago #533485 by Rokker
Replied by Rokker on topic Can you eat pregnant sheep?
I don't see any reason why you cannot homekill them while pregnant, except it just seems a bit of a waste. Why don't you just sell them as live in-lamb ewes? Otherwise work out if you can get supplementary feed to carry them through.

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!

More
5 years 1 week ago #533487 by tonic
Replied by tonic on topic Can you eat pregnant sheep?
We are soon to homekill an older ewe who will be in lamb, it is no problem. The only concern I would have is that if you leave them 'a few months' they may have already lambed!

Time to create page: 0.223 seconds