Header Tank on roof - no water into taps on coldest days in winter

More
5 years 4 weeks ago #532958 by Marciano
hi - I have a problem, but its only in the coldest days in winter. You turn on the shower the water runs for a minute or so and then stops, no hot water no cold water. Once the sun comes out a couple of hours later it woks again. The roof pitch is shallow so metal header tank on roof. I've lived in the house for many years and is only the last 4 or 5 that this problem has arisen. We've relagged pipes. Any ideas please?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 4 weeks ago #532961 by Rokker
At a guess I'd say that the inlet valve to the header tank is freezing up or a blockage occurring in the water line further upstream. The minute or so of water you get is just the contents of the header tank until it runs dry. You need to check the inlet ball cock and any other valves in the line before the header tank to make sure they all work freely - especially in the cold weather.

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!

More
5 years 4 weeks ago #532979 by Hawkspur
I'd agree with that. We had that problem in a previous house. Valves often freeze first because they have a very small volume of water in them. Wrap it up in something insulating in such a way you can easily remove it for checking/maintenance.

More
5 years 4 weeks ago #532980 by Rokker
If you discover the problem to be the water freezing in the ballcock, a very simple solution is to mount a 60 watt light bulb directly under the inlet pipe where it enters the header tank. Connect a timer to the light so that it comes on an hour before you get up, and off again once the day warms up. The heat from the lamp will keep the water in the ballcock above freezing point.

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!

More
5 years 4 weeks ago #532982 by arnie.m
We had the same problem, water pressure dropped and gradually over the years it go worse. The plumber picked it straight away, turned out to be the "Mason Fly' looking for somewhere to camp and fell down the breather pipe and after many of them did the same over several years it blocked a valve. $50 dollars including mileage fixed. I did not believe him at first my surname is "Mason" LOL

arnie
88 Valley
Nelson

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #533008 by tonybaker
I would talk to a plumber about getting rid of that header tank! You probably have poor shower pressure? There are modern alternatives available.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

Time to create page: 0.195 seconds