Geriatric cats, and what to use to comb them

More
15 years 1 month ago #445 by Prim
I have an elderly cat (she is 17), and her mother.

They are both getting on. The mother will let me comb her, which I have been doing irregularly, to get rid of her knots.

My cat (the daughter) won't let me hold her much at all, alth she is not adverse to sitting on my knee any chance she gets. She I will have to take to the vet for a general to be shaved :( She isn't in very good looking condition at all, but in my defence I have been waiting for her to die. Our dogs died last year, and I expected a mass exodus. I didn't want to put her through the trauma of a car trip and sedation/anaesthetic if I really didn't need too. Now, I really need to [:I]

But, my question - what is the best type of comb to use to prevent the knots reappearing? The one I have has teeth quite close together. Is there something better I can be using?

Also, b/c neither of them can get around to groom themselves any longer ( :( ) is there a product which wld help or just short, regular grooming?

TIA.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 1 month ago #44914 by Birman Babe
Are you talking about a long haired cat here or very dense short coat (which also knot badly). You can get rubber glove type grooming mits which some older cats like coz it feels more like a massage than a grooming.

More
15 years 1 month ago #44921 by ronnie
We had one of those grooming mitts and our old cat just loved it :D
He would head for the hills if he saw a comb, but having someone brush him with the mitt would send him into raptures.

We got ours from the $2 shop

Cheers
Jan

More
15 years 1 month ago #44988 by Prim
Hi BB and Ronnie

I shall try and get one of those gloves - thanks!!!

BB, the cats are just regular, domestic, short hair bitsas with dense coats. They have been fine for years, and when knots first started forming (a year ago?) they wld 'tease' them out themselves, and also let me comb them (the mother) or cut them out (the daughter). The mother is still fine - I combed her and cut some out yesterday (will have another go today); the daughter however is now just too matted (I am embarrassed to admit).

Your help is appreciated!

Time to create page: 0.176 seconds