Foot

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #532236 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Foot
Hypoglycemia? From 60 years ago until about 20 years ago, when I was just a newbie on this hormone treatment, my left side tended to get paralysed before the right side, so walking was very difficult. Now I tend to just shake like a spastic, which also makes standing difficult.
Remember that problem I was having with the Accu-chek strips late last year reading too high? At the time I was having hypo symptoms but the meter was reading normal. Now the strips that I have seem to be giving me the correct reading.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #532253 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Foot
I don't think it is hypoglycaemia, the first fall was just after having had a meal. The last one could have been, but I don't tend to go hypo. I know it can come one without warning and levels can rise immediately after, as I fell at a friends birthday party about a year ago, but as I had just eaten a slice of birthday cake, levels came up again as soon as it got into the blood stream.

OT came today. I only fall at night, mainly because I can't use my vision for balance, they have left some hand rails to install which should help.

It is hard to explain how much your feet effect your balance and when that is gone, how much your eyesight compensates.

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #532267 by kai

ZummersetGirl wrote: You are in the wars at the moment. You should go to see your GP to get the accident registered and let him listen to your chest to check you are getting sufficient air entry to prevent pneumonia or similar. If you start coughing up blood or get short of breath at rest you should be seen asap.

I don't think I dare, two lots of broken ribs in the space of 3 months and I think the GP would be sending the police round to arrest hubbie. Breathing is fine this time (partial collapsed lung last time, so I know what to look for and why I took myself off to hospital then)

More
7 years 4 days ago - 7 years 4 days ago #532708 by kai
An update. I got the discharge papers from the hospital, saying showing the MRI showed signs of charcot foot, which a surprise in one way as just a couple of weeks earlier I had an xray stating the opposite. I had heard of the condition before and knew a little bit about it. I was getting to the point of asking to get the foot chopped off because the pain is horrendous, keeping me awake at night no matter what pain killers I take. Anyway, I decided to do a bit more research on the subject. It looks like there is actually quite a lot that can be done, though the cure is not overnight. What annoys me is that the first line of treatment is complete non weight bearing, not even crutches or a zimmer frame as extra pressure on the good foot is likely to cause it there as well. Also the longer you keep walking on the foot the more damage gets done. I have been complaining to the GP for 2 years!! The only thing I can say in his defence (otherwise I think he is pretty good) is that according to statistics the average GP will only see about 2 cases in their career. I have an orthopaedic appointment, but not for another 2 and a half months and that will be 4 months from referral date.

The first line of treatment is 5 months in a cast great! If it goes to a surgical option, then it is up to 8 months in a cast!!! But at least it has given me hope. In the meantime, I think I should get used to using my wheelchair as much as possible to keep the weight off my foot. First I need to work out how to adapt a tow ball mounted bike rack into a wheelchair rack, as although it fits in the boot, it is not the easiest thing to get out if hopping on one leg.
Last edit: 7 years 4 days ago by kai.

More
6 years 11 months ago #533159 by Belle Bosse
Replied by Belle Bosse on topic Foot
Sorry to hear about the trouble your poor foot has been giving you Kai.
At least you have a bit of direction now and know what you are dealing with, not that it makes much difference to how hurting things feel, but it does make a difference mentally as to how things are seen. Hope is so important when dealing with high levels of pain and difficult situations. I'm just sorry its taken so long to get figured out as to what was happening.

Would you consider swapping/ replacing your long doored Coupe car with a station wagon for few months or how ever long, to deal with the wheel chair? The station wagon may not be as fancy, but it is so very practical.
The wagon's boot is so much easier to get things in and out of as you have lower access with no "lip" to lift things over and the whole rear door area is open access. You can sit on the floor in the back if you need to, while changing things over... a ready made seat, so no need to struggle while balancing on one foot. The Mazda 626 size would work fine... not too big or too small. Wagons also have shorter doors which make a big difference with getting in or out of the vehicle in tighter spaces.

All my love and best wishes for the challenge ahead.

More
6 years 11 months ago #533171 by kai
I bought a wheelchair carrier that fits on the tow bar from trademe, which makes it easy to transport.

However I have and appointment at the orthopaedics department tomorrow in the hope they can do something so I don't have to get it chopped off.

More
6 years 11 months ago #533207 by kai
Update.
Plaster full contact below knee cast on for the next 6- 8 months, getting it changed every week for a while, then every month after that.

Then... if it has worked, surgery, pins, plates, screws and either a metal frame or another cast for another 8 months.

More
6 years 11 months ago #533208 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Foot
Lucky you!

More
6 years 11 months ago #533209 by kai

Ruth wrote: Lucky you!

On the up side, they did not discuss amputation, which I thought they might.

I will adapt, people do.

More
6 years 10 months ago #534125 by kai
I thought I would give an update.
6 weeks so far of getting a new cast every week or fortnight, OT has been pretty good in providing a little ramp for the back step, a trolley to push around and a knee scooter as our silly laundry has doors that cannot open enough to get a wheelchair in. We paid to get the ramp onto the deck to be re-done as it was too steep for me to propell the wheelchair up by myself. We also bought an old mobility scooter so I can get to the shops (though I can still drive the car if needs be).

I saw the surgeon again today and had another x-ray. I wanted to see the pics, as I don't know why doctors don't just show them automatically. I knew what had caused the damage, but not exactly what the damage was. 2-3 tarsal bones broken, 1 metatarsal bone snapped and displaced and one dislocated metatarsal/tarsal joint.
On the good side, the foot is a fraction of the size it was and the bones are showing definite regrowth.

More
6 years 10 months ago #534126 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Foot
I am glad to hear it is at least starting to heal, but I did have a bit of a jolt to read it was a fraction of the size it had been - I wasn't thinking of swelling post injury but original size!;) :cheer:

More
6 years 10 months ago #534132 by kai

Hawkspur wrote: I am glad to hear it is at least starting to heal, but I did have a bit of a jolt to read it was a fraction of the size it had been - I wasn't thinking of swelling post injury but original size!;) :cheer:

Yes, at its worst it would not have looked out of place on an elephant, still not normal, but if the cast wasn't on, I probably could get a shoe onto it now, which would be a definite improvement.

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds