Foot

More
7 years 1 week ago #531645 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Foot
At risk of competing with spoook for best foot injury of the year, I have now just returned from 4 days in hospital due to a toe turning black and threatening to fall off. Suspicion is a previous injury this year causing infection in my big toe which was dormant until I got a horrendous dose of flu in March decided it to break free and infect other toes when the immune system was compromised. Have been on IV antibiotics which has helped to some extent. The toe although I was warned might have to be amputated has changed colour to a slightly more pink than normal colour and is deemed out of danger.

After admission to hospital, the foot broke out in spontaneous blisters (ie not allergy, burn or friction related). The foot is horrendously swollen and have been instructed not to walk on it, however the hospital refused to lend a wheelchair, so have had to buy a cheap second hand one (though it has hardly been used) in order to get around.

Now as a matter of pride and looking on the light side, I need to pimp my ride :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 6 days ago #531870 by ZummersetGirl
Replied by ZummersetGirl on topic Foot
How's your foot doing now Kai?

More
7 years 6 days ago #531872 by kai
Been out of hospital a few days now, the toe after going black turned into one horrendous blister, which eventually burst (I did not think the fourth to could be so big). It is healing the IBs did their job, but there is still a lot of pain in the joints and my balance is very bad, I have to grab onto door frames and handles wherever I can and I have a stick. I also bought a wheel chair, so if I need to walk more than a couple of hundred metres I can either get wheeled or wheel myself.

The hospital was going to get OT dept to see me, but it did not happen, as in the night when I can't see things to grab on to, I really could do with handrails etc. I suppose I should chase it up after this weekend.

More
7 years 5 days ago #531898 by ZummersetGirl
Yes, chase it up as referrals do get lost:(. Have you applied for a disabled parking badge? Your GP just has to complete the application form with the reason why you need it and it can be for as little as 3 months ranging up to lifetime.

More
7 years 5 days ago #531900 by kai

ZummersetGirl wrote: Yes, chase it up as referrals do get lost:(. Have you applied for a disabled parking badge? Your GP just has to complete the application form with the reason why you need it and it can be for as little as 3 months ranging up to lifetime.

I haven't yet, but I was already thinking about the disabled badge, before this last episode, partly because as our car is a coupe which means the doors are long and opening it far enough to get out is a problem. I read up on the website, but could not find the appropriate form to download and fill out.

More
7 years 5 days ago #531901 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Foot
It is good that you are home, but it doesn't sound as though you are comfortable, really.
I hope things improve soon, especially the balance as that can be very debilitating, limiting and disheartening too.

Here's to curling up with your favourite comfort food and book/movie.

More
7 years 5 days ago #531903 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Foot
Your GP will have the paperwork for a disability pass, and they are well worth having. There are two parts to it. One the doctor will fill in, and the other you fill in. They can be temporary or permanent and cover from 3 months to 5 years. A five year pass is $50. Once you have one, it is really easy to roll it over if required.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
7 years 2 days ago #531956 by kai

Stikkibeek wrote: Your GP will have the paperwork for a disability pass, and they are well worth having. There are two parts to it. One the doctor will fill in, and the other you fill in. They can be temporary or permanent and cover from 3 months to 5 years. A five year pass is $50. Once you have one, it is really easy to roll it over if required.

I finally found the form to download on line and have and appointment at the docs on Monday to get it signed.

I also chased up the OT department and I am still in the system, no appointent as yet, but have been put down as semi urgent for the local team to get in touch.

More
6 years 11 months ago #532063 by kai
Officially classed as disabled, took the mobility parking form to the docs, asked him to sign it, he did not bat and eyelid. I had had to expect to argue my case, but he had already read my notes from the hospital and pretty well had the stamp out before the form was unfolded.

OT has been in touch but waiting for an appointment, also waiting for an orthopaedics apt and expecting foot to get lopped off.

More
6 years 11 months ago #532064 by Stikkibeek
Good. The mobility parking will help a lot. Has your foot improved at all?

More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #532079 by kai

Stikkibeek wrote: Good. The mobility parking will help a lot. Has your foot improved at all?

It is better than it was when I was discharged, the blistering is healing well, but the joints it effected are worse than before.

Unfortunately last week I was supposed to go to see Jethro Tull in concert, I went to the toilet before hand, lost my balance, when I stood up I lost my balance fell and knocked myself out and got carted off to hospital yet again and missed the whole thing. The tickets were not cheap either.
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by kai.

More
6 years 11 months ago #532081 by Stikkibeek

kai wrote:

Stikkibeek wrote:
Unfortunately last week I was supposed to go to see Jethro Tull in concert, I went to the toilet before hand, lost my balance, when I stood up I lost my balance fell and knocked myself out and got carted off to hospital yet again and missed the whole thing. The tickets were not cheap either.

:pinch: Jethro Tull does that to me too!:whistle: :sick:

More
6 years 11 months ago #532101 by Anakei
Replied by Anakei on topic Foot
Crikey Kai, you are in the wars :(

If and when you are mobile again, I recommend Tai Chi as an excellent gentle exercise that keeps joints working and improves balance.
It won't fix your Jethro Tull tendencies though :lol:

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

More
6 years 11 months ago #532225 by kai
Unfortunately it gets worse, last night I fell on the way back from the loo, I am fairly sure I have broken a couple of ribs (have had broken ribs in the past, so I know what it feel likes or that there is nothing the docs can do about it, unless it is bad enough for a punctured lung). The OT dept is not returning calls. It is embarrassing to be in this state, I am not even 50

More
6 years 11 months ago #532232 by ZummersetGirl
You are in the wars at the moment. You should go to see your GP to get the accident registered and let him listen to your chest to check you are getting sufficient air entry to prevent pneumonia or similar. If you start coughing up blood or get short of breath at rest you should be seen asap.

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds