Grey water disposal off grid.

More
5 years 3 months ago #531285 by rhyso
Hi All,

I am looking into setting up a temporary accommodation on our property.

It will consist of a 6m Lotus Belle tent on a platform and a 20 square metre carport to collect water. We will use a composting toilet so the only problem we face is legally disposing of grey water. I understand that shower and washing machine water can be recycled onto the garden, but not water from the kitchen sink due to the pathogens involved.

Does anyone know of an inexpensive solution to this?

I don't mind spending a little bit of money and I want it to be legitimate.

The only solutions I can see are in excess of $5000 which I am not really keen on spending on this project.

thanks in advance for any help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago #531288 by tonybaker
I guess you have already been to the local council to see what is allowed? It seems like you can get away with discharging onto land

The discharge of greywater onto or into land is a Permitted Activity provided the discharge

(a) does not exceed a maximum daily volume of 2000 litres;

(b) is more than 20 metres from any surface water body, farm drain, water supply race, or the coastal marine area; and

(c) does not cause ponding on, or runoff from the disposal area.

Explanation. This rule applies to greywater only, and does not apply to any discharge that contains human sewage. Greywater (see Section 3 of the Plan) is “the wastewater from sinks, basins, baths, showers and similar appliances, but not including any toilet wastes. Also known as sullage.”

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
5 years 3 months ago #531298 by rhyso
Replied by rhyso on topic Grey water disposal off grid.
Ooooooh. Where is that information copied from?

With that info I can contact the local council. Buller District council.

I would make a sink with gravel if this is the case. It would make life so easy.

Thank you for the terrific reply.

More
5 years 3 months ago #531312 by tonybaker
it was from Wellington and I see that Buller has recently installed a new sewerage scheme so may be a bit touchy about your proposal. Anyway, you can use the Wellington rules as a lever? If you can get away with it, would be best to dig a deep hole and fill with rocks and gravel. I imagine in Buller there may be some redundant septic tanks for free?

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: rhyso

More
5 years 3 months ago #531354 by rhyso
Replied by rhyso on topic Grey water disposal off grid.
"I see that Buller has recently installed a new sewerage scheme so may be a bit touchy about your proposal."

Not where we are... I will approach them with that idea. If it is good enough for Wellington, I don't see why it wouldn't be for us.

Thanks again.

Time to create page: 0.183 seconds