Alpacas and Old Man's Beard (Clematis vitalba)

More
5 years 5 months ago #529665 by CarenG
Hi there, We're wondering if alpaca will happily and readily eat Old Man's Beard. Does anyone know? And is it toxic to them!?
We've got two alpaca we may get, but only if they can help out and not just eat all the fruit trees ;-)
Thanks heaps, Caren

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 5 months ago #529682 by 4trees
Hi, no clematis is not poisonous, just keep an eye they do not get caught up in the vine, as that can cause all sorts of problems especially if they panic and get it tied up around various extremities of the body, like legs etc. Cheers.

Cheers
http:treeandshrub.co.nz

More
5 years 5 months ago #529687 by CarenG
Thanks! And have you seen alpaca eating it ok? Cheers for that, appreciated.

More
5 years 5 months ago #529718 by 4trees
Hi, I have not seen alpacas eating it, but I have been involved in farming for 40 years so have an idea what is poisonous and what is not, I also advise a lot of lifestyle folk and farmers about plants on their properties. Good luck.

Cheers
http:treeandshrub.co.nz
The following user(s) said Thank You: CarenG

More
5 years 5 months ago #529807 by LongRidge
If you suddenly change any animals diet from one type of feed to another, it is likely to have digestive problems until the bugs in the animals gut get used to the new food. Thus ensure that there is plenty of what they have been eating. Also, too much of any one thing is not good for any animal. No food, except carefully designed pellets, is exactly right for any animal.
As stated above, strangulation is the animals greatest risk.

More
5 years 5 months ago #529813 by Anakei
Sods law applies here - if you want them to eat it, they won't. If you don't want them to eat it, they will ;) :P

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

Time to create page: 0.245 seconds