Blood Glucose test strips

More
5 years 7 months ago #527973 by LongRidge
I use CareSensN test strips and I think that they are giving higher reading than codes from a few months ago were giving. For those who are not taking glucose lowering medication (insulin, metformin) this "high" reading won't be of much concern. But with me on insulin, if I were to believe the results that are being created I would be overdosing ..... :( . The meter would also be recording that my BG has increased, so might make the doctor think I have a problem :( .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 7 months ago #527979 by spark
Replied by spark on topic Blood Glucose test strips
A quick google found this:
www.mendosa.com/blog/?p=3719
Basically, you can get a "control solution" (basically a "blood simulant") which contains a known level of "blood glucose", intended for testing your blood glucose meter to check that it is calibrated correctly.

Failing that, are you able to check your meter/strips against a known good machine? (at the doctor's surgery, or a pharmacy, etc?)
ie take your machine with you to the doctor's surgery, prick your finger, put some blood on a strip for your machine and some blood on a strip for the doctor's (presumably professionally calibrated?) machine, and compare the readings that both machines give?

More
5 years 7 months ago #528010 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Blood Glucose test strips
They do have an expiry date. Have you used an old lot by mistake

More
5 years 5 months ago #528789 by Song
Replied by Song on topic Blood Glucose test strips
As spark mentioned, there are 'control solution' that can be used to test the meters. Check with your pharmacy. They are more than likely to have these solution and should be happy to test your meter.

More
5 years 5 months ago #528806 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Blood Glucose test strips
Very true but the manufacturers only claim an accuracy of plus or minus 15%. So if the calibration has shifted by less than this, then the test solution will still show that the meter is within "accuracy". Also, the test solution is not my blood, in fact not blood at all.
I am expected to make life-altering decisions about my insulin dosage (too much can kill me, or me kill or hurt someone else :-( ). If the calibration suddenly shifts to show results that are higher than actual, I am liable to think that I should over-dose.
The current strips seem to be giving more reasonable results. Thanks for your suggestions.

More
5 years 5 months ago #528819 by greenfingers
Another thing to consider is that the strips degrade when the weather is warmer. I only found this out when our flatmates readings started going crazy last summer, yet when he was tested by his diabetes nurse, his levels were ok. The Diabetes nurse told him to keep strips in a cool place in the house (not refrigerated) and don't leave them in a car.

9.5 acres with 300-odd pines and lots of wobbly fences [:D]

More
5 years 5 months ago #528846 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Blood Glucose test strips

greenfingers wrote: Another thing to consider is that the strips degrade when the weather is warmer. I only found this out when our flatmates readings started going crazy last summer, yet when he was tested by his diabetes nurse, his levels were ok. The Diabetes nurse told him to keep strips in a cool place in the house (not refrigerated) and don't leave them in a car.

Interesting to hear that, heading off to India, I was not planning on putting them in the cool pouch with the insulin, but perhaps as I bought a large size one I should.

I have mentioned this before, but I have trialed it since it arrived and after one single soak in water, it kept cool for over 3 weeks! It is amazing
Frio

More
5 years 5 months ago #528889 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Blood Glucose test strips
I've not tried coolants with my test meter and strips, and with the Accucheck meter I didn't need to. But the CareSensN meter does not work at all when it is too hot or too cold, so maybe it has a temperature effect along with all it's other problems :-(

Time to create page: 0.259 seconds