More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #526966 by Hawkspur

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: Argument 1 passed to Kunena\Forum\Libraries\BBCode\KunenaBBCodeLibrary::renderEbayLayout() must be of the type int, string given, called in /home/customer/www/lifestyleblock.co.nz/public_html/libraries/kunena/src/BBCode/KunenaBBCode.php on line 335. Please enable debug mode for more information.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 8 months ago #526967 by spark
Hi Kai,

USB is only a low-powered interface (2.5W for a normal USB2.0 port and up to 10W for some cellphone chargers), on the other hand Peltier effect thermo-electric coolers are not very efficient and draw lots of power (hence why they tend to be made to plug into things like cigarette lighter sockets). I would be very surprised to see a USB powered cooler bag.

One option that might be worth considering would be a proper vacuum dewar (Thermos type flask, preferably with a wide mouth) with ice pack(s) inside it - evacuated dewars are very good thermal insulation and are used for keeping stuff like liquid nitrogen cold in the field (eg an AI straw bank).

In the process of planning your holiday, can you pre-arrange to stay at places where reliable refrigeration is available? (or where a contingency like being able to go out and buy a bag of ice is feasible if the hotel's fridge/freezer is broken?)

Dare I mention it, but does your travel insurance cover your pre-existing condition if something goes wrong? (no access to refrigeration and insulin spoiled, or insulin lost/stolen, etc)

Cheers

More
5 years 8 months ago #526968 by kai

spark wrote: Hi Kai,

USB is only a low-powered interface (2.5W for a normal USB2.0 port and up to 10W for some cellphone chargers), on the other hand Peltier effect thermo-electric coolers are not very efficient and draw lots of power (hence why they tend to be made to plug into things like cigarette lighter sockets). I would be very surprised to see a USB powered cooler bag.

you can buy plenty of can coolers, but they either look brittle plastic or need a fan to help. I had wondered about a normal chilly bag/pouch and putting one in, but I don't know that would work.

Dare I mention it, but does your travel insurance cover your pre-existing condition if something goes wrong? (no access to refrigeration and insulin spoiled, or insulin lost/stolen, etc)

Fortunately insulin does not immediately become ineffective if it gets warm, it just gets less effective as time goes on and when travelling I would carry extra and should it become a problem I am sure I could buy more and yes the last trip although it had to be declared a managed diabetic is covered by health insurance.

More
5 years 8 months ago #526969 by spark

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: Argument 1 passed to Kunena\Forum\Libraries\BBCode\KunenaBBCodeLibrary::renderEbayLayout() must be of the type int, string given, called in /home/customer/www/lifestyleblock.co.nz/public_html/libraries/kunena/src/BBCode/KunenaBBCode.php on line 335. Please enable debug mode for more information.

More
5 years 8 months ago #526970 by Stikkibeek
If you do find something suitable, it might pay to talk with airline officials and others about keeping it safe on flights. nothing like a strange piece of apparatus to raise terrorist jitters.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
5 years 8 months ago #526971 by kai

More
5 years 8 months ago #526972 by spark

kai wrote: you can buy plenty of can coolers, but they either look brittle plastic or need a fan to help. I had wondered about a normal chilly bag/pouch and putting one in, but I don't know that would work.

A thermo-electric cooler (like a USB can cooler), is a bit like your fridge, in that to make the inside of it cooler, the refrigeration system has to make the outside of it hotter (to get rid of the heat that was removed from the inside). Putting a powered on USB can cooler inside an insulated bag would be counterproductive as it would make it harder for the refrigeration system to get rid of the waste heat, and the inside of the can cooler would thus get hotter.
The insulated bag is a good idea for keeping cold things which are absorbing heat (eg melting ice pack + insulin) rather than things which are emitting heat (anything using electric power).

More
5 years 8 months ago #526973 by kai
actually some of them are no quite so big as I originally thought, but are rather pricey.

More
5 years 8 months ago #526974 by kai

More
5 years 8 months ago #526975 by spark
Brainstorming:
"Heavy water" freezes at ~ 3.8 C (so you could freeze it in a fridge that does not have a freezer or ice maker), problem is that it looks like it costs about $2000 / L
www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/product/ald...82?lang=en®ion=NZ

Another idea is Ammonium nitrate (commonly used in disposable cold packs) - when ammonium nitrate dissolves in water, it absorbs heat (endothermic reaction). Up the back of beyond you could probably recycle your ammonium ammonium nitrate by evaporating the water out of it, but, they probably won't let you take ammonium nitrate on the airliner because it is a good oxidising agent which can be used for making things like ANFO (Ammonium Nitrate Fuel Oil - commonly used as a blasting slurry for mining and quarrying).

More
5 years 8 months ago #526976 by spark

kai wrote: what do people think of this?
www.mediray.co.nz/diabetes/shop/insulin-...ts/easy-bag-classic/

That looks like an evaporative cooler - provided that the humidity level is not too high, I think that would be brilliant "up the back of beyond".
If it is hot AND humid at the same time (think monsoon season in the tropics), then it probably won't work that well.

More
5 years 8 months ago #526977 by kai
I have order this www.frioinsulincoolingcase.com/frio-extra-large.html item, after several hours of googling, it does seem to get good reviews, should be able to fold up even if you only have a couple of pens in there for an average weekend away.

And of course, half the price to order direct from the US rather than NZ :S

More
5 years 8 months ago #526978 by kai

spark wrote: Brainstorming:
"Heavy water" freezes at ~ 3.8 C (so you could freeze it in a fridge that does not have a freezer or ice maker), problem is that it looks like it costs about $2000 / L
www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/product/ald...82?lang=en®ion=NZ

Another idea is Ammonium nitrate (commonly used in disposable cold packs) - when ammonium nitrate dissolves in water, it absorbs heat (endothermic reaction). Up the back of beyond you could probably recycle your ammonium ammonium nitrate by evaporating the water out of it, but, they probably won't let you take ammonium nitrate on the airliner because it is a good oxidising agent which can be used for making things like ANFO (Ammonium Nitrate Fuel Oil - commonly used as a blasting slurry for mining and quarrying).

haha love it, the phrase using a sledgehammer to crack a nut comes to mind though.

Time to create page: 0.311 seconds