Is this Facial Eczma?

More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #526294 by cameronblick
My two Hereford Calves have weird lumps on there nose as per this photo, they have recently been weaned and are eating grass and pellets, it is only these two calves, the rest are fresians and have nothing like this.

Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by cameronblick.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 8 months ago #526299 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Is this Facial Eczma?
Photo not showing, but its the wrong time of year for facial eczema. January to May when dried grass litter and high temperatures stay above 10c all night, and a little moisture is present-oh and in the North Island-not sure where you iive.

One of the possibles would be ringworm, but not being able to see a photo it is just a guess!

Oh, and welcome to LSB by the way!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #526300 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Is this Facial Eczma?
Warts too possibly. Some of our beefies have them at the moment. If warts, they go away on their own in time.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by Stikkibeek.

More
5 years 8 months ago #526303 by cameronblick
Replied by cameronblick on topic Is this Facial Eczma?
Thanks, Added the Photo, I am in Reporoa, Taupo

More
5 years 8 months ago #526313 by Rokker
Replied by Rokker on topic Is this Facial Eczma?
Yep - almost certainly warts. They are a viral infection and nothing much you can do to treat them. But, as Stikki said, they do clear up eventually.

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!

More
5 years 8 months ago #526314 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Is this Facial Eczma?
Certainly a big infection if they are warts. Were you feeding from bucket, cow or bottle as those almost look like milk scald. I'd be inclined in the first instance to put some zinc cream on them and see if that clears them up, otherwise they are warts and you just have to wait it out. They will eventually begin to become immune and the warts will go. can take 6+months.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
5 years 8 months ago #526321 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Is this Facial Eczma?
Yep, now I can see photos, I would think warts too!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #526322 by tonic
Replied by tonic on topic Is this Facial Eczma?
My first thought was milk scald rather than warts. They look like soft scabs to me?
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by tonic.

More
5 years 8 months ago #526323 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Is this Facial Eczma?
Warts tend to appear as individual lesions, not whole groups.

More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #526327 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Is this Facial Eczma?
I think a scald of some sort, possibly from the meal or pellets, or possibly from one of the many weeds that cause skin problems. Do the other calves have pink noses? If not then this might be a possibility. Weeds like storksbill and mallow are a couple to look out for.
PS. This topic would be better if posted in Your Place, because more people read that forum, and the answers would be useful to anyone with calves :)
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by LongRidge.

More
5 years 8 months ago #526333 by Rokker
Replied by Rokker on topic Is this Facial Eczma?

Ruth wrote: Warts tend to appear as individual lesions, not whole groups.

That's true, Ruth, more often than not, but I have seen them in clusters like this too, although not as tight a group as this. They are certainly the right colour for warts if the photo colour is accurate. You'd have to have them examined to be absolutely sure. Scald lesions are usually less raised, softer to the touch, and more irritating to the animal than warts, which are firmer and dry.

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!

Time to create page: 0.258 seconds