Computer repairmen.

More
6 years 2 months ago #520527 by Rod Brown
When you take your computer or tablet etc to a repairman can they access your online bank account?

Now sold block, of no fixed abode, building new house. Darling wife has passed 1 year ago.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 months ago #520529 by Aquila
Replied by Aquila on topic Computer repairmen.
If you have your settings saved, yes. Would they? It'd be theft and easily proved, basically would be suicide for them and their business

More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #520531 by Rod Brown
Replied by Rod Brown on topic Computer repairmen.
Thanks for your quick reply! I access my accounts with PIN numbers which aren't saved.

Now sold block, of no fixed abode, building new house. Darling wife has passed 1 year ago.
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Rod Brown. Reason: couldn't edit

More
6 years 2 months ago #520532 by Rod Brown
Replied by Rod Brown on topic Computer repairmen.
I just thought they might nose around not take anything!

More
6 years 2 months ago #520533 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Computer repairmen.
if you leave a post it note on the screen with your user name and password, yes.

And if you do, not sympathy for you

More
6 years 2 months ago #520542 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Computer repairmen.
My son works for a computer repair company that has a device that can find every password that has ever been used on that computer. So the answer is "YES". But he does not tell the customers that he has that device until it is obvious that the problem is password related. The he asks the owners permission to use that device. As stated above, it would kill a business if their employees were accessing unauthorised documents.

More
6 years 2 months ago #520572 by Rokker
Replied by Rokker on topic Computer repairmen.

Rod Brown wrote: When you take your computer or tablet etc to a repairman can they access your online bank account?

I cannot be certain of ALL banks, but with the BNZ system there is no way anyone but you can get into your account. They use a Netguard system where each time you log into your account online, the bank's website requires you to enter 3 randomly selected coordinates from your card's 7 x 7 grid matrix. No matter what gets remembered or saved by your computer's hard drive, there is no way it can pre-guess the next randomly selected co-ordinate request from your bank.

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!

• marmella
6 years 2 months ago #520694 by marmella
Replied by marmella on topic Computer repairmen.
What kind of software is that? I think the ability of the software to recover passwords strongly depends, on the seurity measures taken by the pc owner. You can delete passwords for ever.

More
6 years 2 months ago #520702 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Computer repairmen.
I doubt things can be "deleted forever" I have a friend who with a special app, was able to restore all the photos deleted on a digital camera. This led to a satisfactory conclusion, as the camera in question had been substituted for our much better camera when she stole it, leaving her crappy one in its place. Became easy to find the girl who stole it as she had photos of herself in her school uniform! :whistle:

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
6 years 2 months ago #520712 by Rokker
Replied by Rokker on topic Computer repairmen.

Stikkibeek wrote: I doubt things can be "deleted forever" . . .

Longridge is partially right - there is plenty of software available that can recover files you might accidentally delete from your computer or other digital device. However, recovery is only possible until such a time as the operating system overwrites the files with new data. At that point the old files are definitely gone forever and no software can recover them.

There are a couple of pages here and here that explain in pretty simple language how it all works.

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!

• marmella
6 years 2 months ago #520765 by marmella
Replied by marmella on topic Computer repairmen.
That it is exactly, what i meant. If date is phyically overwritten a few times, no reconstruction is possible anymore. Softwares like "PC Inspector file Recovery" are public and available for everyone. It is no special software which only computer repairmen use.

More
6 years 2 months ago #520780 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Computer repairmen.
Repair women on the other hand, just wave their wands! We're cleverer like that.

Time to create page: 0.220 seconds