Social Media accounts and community forums

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #520496 by max2
Out of interest how many of you participate using your own name (say your FB profile) on your community pages? Do you just ''lurk''? Have you given it up altogether for whatever reason?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #520501 by ZummersetGirl
This is the only forum I subscribe to - no Facebook, Twitter or similar Internet presence. I am signed up to receive emailed info from work-related sites. I don't use my "legal" identity on this site but have to for work related stuff. The only Facebook site I visit is the Ruby Red Trust which is funding raising to send a girl to USA for Lyme disease treatment - caught in Aussie (I am aware Aussie says they don't have Lyme bearing ticks but go to the Facebook page and Ruby's illness proves otherwise). I try to have minimal internet presence and want to keep it that way
The following user(s) said Thank You: max2

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #520647 by Fairlight
I gave up on Facebook a few months ago and wouldn't have it any other way. It means I miss put on a few conversations and groups but for me the clincher was when I had kids - I had given up my own privacy to an extent but I didn't want Facebook having profiles on my kids.

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #520649 by Ruth
I've joined a couple of fb-based groups but participate only lightly. I don't trust that entity at all.
My sister and family went off around the world recently and I set up an independent blog site for them under their own domain name, so their pictures and writings remain their own, not the default property of fb if they were to post them there.

Around here I'd have a hard time being anonymous even if I recreated my identity. I can't help how I write.

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #520657 by Rokker
Hi had a FB account some years ago but not for long - I just didn't really use it that much. I ended up with heaps of "friends" that I didn't even know! :ohmy:

Local friends I see in person regularly; distant friends keep in touch by phone or skype and regular emails - much more meaningful than FB.

And, like others here, I don't really trust FB, twitter, etc, with personal details.

As far as LSB is concerned, anyone who knows me personally will instantly recognise my username if they visit this forum. B)

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!

More
8 years 1 week ago #520769 by max2

Fairlight wrote: I gave up on Facebook a few months ago and wouldn't have it any other way. It means I miss put on a few conversations and groups but for me the clincher was when I had kids - I had given up my own privacy to an extent but I didn't want Facebook having profiles on my kids.

Interesting that you mention your children, I participate in our community forums when I think I have helpful information or answers and recently had the experience of a local (who isn't known personally to us) mention details of my Daughter (or what she thought were details about my daughter). At no point had the thread been about any individual and the thread's author was upset it had become personal and deleted the thread.

I questioned the worthiness of participating in community pages from that event, reviewed my ''friends'' list and culled a handful. I have my security as high as I can, and some posts on my own page restrict who on my friends list see what I am posting. But on the other hand, it keeps my family and friends up to date and its my ''social time''.

More
8 years 1 week ago #520792 by rider1803
I have a FB page but hardly use it and don't participate in any groups on there although I belong to a few - cannot stand the melo-drama of most.
Anyone who knows me will obviously be able to recognise my profile pic on here.
This is the only site that I participate in forums on now although I have recently joined neighbourly and posted a couple of items.
I am currently 39 weeks pregnant and have vowed that our child will not be all over facebook every 5 seconds, the odd post fine but who wants to see their first poo!

Confirmed horse addict.

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds