Dehydrators ??

More
6 years 4 months ago #519302 by ccrk9
Dehydrators ?? was created by ccrk9
Experiences with dehydrators please, recommend brands pse. Help as Im drowning in fruit

The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable
living from a small piece of land. ~ Abraham Lincoln ~

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago #519327 by rivercottage
Replied by rivercottage on topic Dehydrators ??
I have a Sunbeam dehydrator which I cannot remember the model of and where it is stored is sooooooo hot today I can't be bothered to go and look. BUT - what I would say is, I think the way you prep your fruit would make more difference than the brand of the equipment.. I successfully made "sun dried" tomatoes but you really **have to** cut stuff up into the same sized pieces otherwise you end up with some chewy and some crispy. They do make a noise - I have a tiny house so I use my dehydrator in the sleepout so I can't hear it going all night (some stuff does take a long time............).

Some come with a tray that will make fruit leather out of fruit puree. Some brands you can buy extra trays too.

you could always freeze fruit and dehydrate it into fruit leather later.......

More
6 years 4 months ago #519423 by arnie.m
Replied by arnie.m on topic Dehydrators ??
I looked at Sunbeam half price special and the shop that always has a 50% off sale. Looked up reviews and there were no or very few psoitive reviews at all. Some had had them replaced 3 times and still failed. I crossed it off the list immediately. There only seemed to be the 1 Sunbeam model. :(

arnie
88 Valley
Nelson

More
6 years 4 months ago #519426 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic Dehydrators ??
I got a harvest maid dryer. Just some racks and a blower/heater quite a simple set up. Apple rings are great and last for ages. Plenty of info on the net. Go to recycle centre or TM and you\ll find one.
I have heaps of apples so I run them thru a garden shredder and press the juice out of them then freeze it.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

Time to create page: 0.190 seconds