Eh? What? I have to learn JAPANESE now?!?!?!

More
8 years 3 months ago #515828 by Kiwi303
I really should pay more attention to the advert wording on Ebay sometimes.

I had a sony A300 DSLR I took to China, replaced it temporarily with a cheap A200 just to have a camera for a while whilst I considered what it's long term replacement would be when replacing came due, which itself survived a while until the rear screen broke... I'm hard on my gear...

So yesterday I got a A77 24.3 Megapixel DSLT to replace my 10.1 Mp.

The top of the line semi-pro high end advanced amateur cam replacing a pair of lower/middle entry level older ones.

Now my A77 is not new itself. I hate the initial shock of depreciation, and a 2 or 3 year old camera works just fine for me so I don't need a up-to-the-minute one. Which means with the A77 mkII released, A77's in good condition are available at a reduced price used. (many reviewers actually shifted the updated mkII from highest semi-pro to not-the-lowest Pro cam.)

So I got one, Ex Japan.

Advert said "japanese language" I figured... never mind, I can just flip through the settings and change it.

Well, today was taking a look at settings and tips for the new camera...

Japanese domestic market models (sony and panasonic anyway) came with only one language, no menu, no changing, Japanese ONLY...

Uh Oh!!!

I guess I will just have to learn... enough to navigate the menus at least... If I can learn enough Chinese to navigate a chinese city, I gotta be able to learn enough to navigate a much smaller camera settings menu!!

Phew... Vent done.

Now where is my copy of Japanese Camera Menus for Dummies?

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #515831 by Stikkibeek
Well at least you know you have just one language choice. Imagine my despair when some nasty kid got hold of my camera and changed the language to Korean Of course I couldn't read the damn thing to set it back as it should have been and finally had to appeal to the child's father!.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by Stikkibeek.

More
8 years 3 months ago #515838 by Kiwi303
Most cameras (and widgets and gadgets in general) tend to have languages icon-ised. Usually use the menu button to bring up a menu, then navigate to the menu with an icon of either a cogwheel or a spanner, which takes you from the device functions to device setup menu. In there is usually an icon of an A in a box. an industry standard for languages menu.

then just pick from espanol, deutsch, italiano, Zhongguo, and the like until you find English or Americanese.

Still Mostly I would probably be using only a few functions, most of which will have icons in the quick select menu.

The new lenses I picked up at the same time should be an interesting pair as well.

Minolta Maxxum 28mm-85mm Macro, old, solid, and a decent reputation for colours and clarity. I wanted a Macro lense for closeup work. 42 - 127.5 equivalent on a full frame or film camera.

On the other end of the scale, an Astranar fixed 400mm telephoto F6.3 A classic 60's piece of long range kit. On a 24Mp APSC cam with a 1.5 crop, that's the same as a 600mm on a full frame.

More
8 years 3 months ago #515850 by Ruth
For many of us, you might as well now be writing Japanese. ;)

More
8 years 3 months ago #515876 by Kiwi303

Ruth wrote: For many of us, you might as well now be writing Japanese. ;)

And you are one of those who like to use their camera... as evinced by your blog :D

Put it this way, the Macro 28-85 will let me take pictures of small things centimeters away, while the 600mm will let me take pictures of things MILES away.

:D

More
8 years 3 months ago #515877 by Anakei
haha I can relate (as the Americans say) !
When we returned to NZ we bought a VW toerag import. Every time you start it up it says something to you in Japanese and we have NO idea what it means!
Have a nice day? Fasten your seatbelt? drive carefully? Slow down you lead foot ?
No idea :lol:

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

More
8 years 3 months ago #515881 by Stikkibeek

Anakei wrote: haha I can relate (as the Americans say) !
When we returned to NZ we bought a VW toerag import. Every time you start it up it says something to you in Japanese and we have NO idea what it means!
Have a nice day? Fasten your seatbelt? drive carefully? Slow down you lead foot ?

You haven't got a stake in Top Gear by any chance have you? :P

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
8 years 3 months ago #515882 by Anakei

Stikkibeek wrote:

Anakei wrote: haha I can relate (as the Americans say) !

You haven't got a stake in Top Gear by any chance have you? :P

Yup! I always channel my inner Jeremy when I drive.
NOT :evil:

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

More
8 years 3 months ago #515887 by Ruth

Kiwi303 wrote: ...And you are one of those who like to use their camera... as evinced by your blog :D

Put it this way, the Macro 28-85 will let me take pictures of small things centimeters away, while the 600mm will let me take pictures of things MILES away.

:D

That's better. I don't know anything about photography, but I know what I like. :evil:

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds