Hair Dye and Copper Pipes.

More
8 years 3 months ago #515528 by Springhills
Hi all, I have just had my Hair Dyed (blonde) and the Hairdresser Mentioned that Copper Guttering/Downpipes leave residue copper in your hair and will react with todays dyes (making them over-process and fizz)???? We are building in the next few months.
So my question is:
Has anyone else heard of this?
Has anyone got a solution?
Is there a particular Filter which will remove the copper from the water?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago #515530 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Hair Dye and Copper Pipes.
"Soft water tends to be acidic and will leach copper, particularly when it is hot"
Not so much the copper pipes, will be your issue, but the water passing the copper.
If you have trees that will hang over your roof they could make your water acidic.
If you have a concrete tank, the lime in the concrete will assist in keeping your water from being acidic.
You will need your water as neutral as possible.
You can get a neutralising filter to combat this issue if you will be using a plastic tank.
Much will depend on where your water is coming from.

Don't wear a copper bracelet when washing your hair............. just in case. ;)

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Springhills

More
8 years 3 months ago #515535 by Geba
Replied by Geba on topic Hair Dye and Copper Pipes.
YES, no, and no!

And it gets worse - if you just have fair-ish hair, or red hair (and we do) it goes green....!!

Our ancient copper header tank finally died recently and has been replaced by a plastic one, so I am hoping my hair will feel better soon. It IS very annoying. My hairdresser did offer me a neutraliser kind of rinse-thing, but it made my hair feel worse :(

More
8 years 3 months ago #515536 by Springhills
Yup, Plastic Tanks - Definitely no Bracelets ;)

More
8 years 3 months ago #515537 by Springhills
Bugger! - Was so hoping she was misinformed!

More
8 years 3 months ago #515538 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Hair Dye and Copper Pipes.
Why not just throw some concrete into the bottom of the plastic tank to make the water more alkaline, cant see why it wouldnt work and probably cheaper than other methods

More
8 years 3 months ago #515548 by Stikkibeek
A bit of lime rock in an onion bag hung in the water should do the same thing. Blond hair also goes very green if swimming in chlorinated water all summer.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
8 years 3 months ago #515551 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Hair Dye and Copper Pipes.
Alkaline water reacts with the copper too. It is not likely to be an issue unless your water is strongly acid or alkaline, or unless you are installing spouting, downpipes and plumbing all in copper, and there is therefore a lot of reactive water to copper contact, which is unusual now. Many plumbers are going away from it as there was a lot of poor quality copper piping imported that corroded and leaked. There are a few places where it has to be copper, such as a wetback, but there are good quality alternatives for everything else.

When you go for your Code Compliance Certificate, the Council will require a water potability test, which will tell you how acid/alkaline your water is.

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds