Another bull story.... (well, experience).

More
6 years 9 months ago #511868 by max2
The forum was asked about keeping a bull not long ago and as we do, I added my experience and thoughts on the matter. I feel the need to share another recent event.

In the past I have talked about an abusive neighbour who felt the need to have a go at me for his heifer/s getting into my paddocks to visit my bull.

How I wasn't keeping Him (the bull) appropriately with a set distance away from boundary fencing etc (neighbour said its law to keep a vacant paddock in between). How our electric fence unit wasn't good enough. Demanding to know what readings we were getting from the unit.:rolleyes:

This was despite his cow jumping our boundary fence, my electric wire and tape mid way through an adjoining paddock to speed date our bull and despite his entire herd incl. his bull coming up through an adjoining paddock of ours to settle in with one younger group of ours.

I acknowledge I have posted how our recent (2nd) bull has squashed an internal gate of ours to re-visit former paddock mates on our property. He is now ensconced with 6 new (to him) Ladies who require his services and all goes well there.

So two nights ago or mornings if you prefer as it was 1am, I hear a bull grunting and bellowing. OMG I think and pace the verandah. Eventually I wake the OH to have a listen, ''do you think its BJ, I think it sounds like BJ is in paddock X of ours (where he shouldn't be)'.

The OH being sound asleep, isn't too happy about having to listen to bull noises at 1am and also isn't too keen to leave his bed to check it out either. Due to get up for work at 3am. He is sure its not BJ but won't commit as to where (who's) the bull might be on our property.

Daylight arrives and it turns out our neighbour's bull is in their boundary adjoining, non electrified paddock mooning over the gateway at one of our dairy mums. Where he was put by said neighbour.

The OH rigs up a wire over the gateway from OUR electric fence to encourage neighbour's bull not to leer at our Girls.

So our electrical unit that our neighbour says isn't effective is now keeping out his bull that was moved into his boundary paddock. rolleyes::rolleyes:

These are the types who live and walk amongst us. This person also advertises he is a LSB advisor/dogs body.

Go figure. I can't.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 9 months ago #513457 by Sue
Frustrating isn't it!
You do your best to do your part knowing bulls and their ways and the neighbours are either just ignorant, or trying their best to have a case to get at you for being in the wrong.
Pleased to read you have managed to keep said bull on the the right side of the fence!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
6 years 9 months ago #513459 by max2
For me Sue the frustration was I was ticked off by the neighbour when my Hubby wasn't home and after I telephoned them to let them know their cow was in our paddock. :confused: and I offered to help push it back.

I know accidents occur and stock can and do wander when and where they shouldn't sometimes. but to go and deliberately stock their boundary paddock in the very way I was told not to do defies belief.

More
6 years 9 months ago #513473 by Ruth
The following user(s) said Thank You: max2

More
6 years 8 months ago #514005 by LongRidge
max, I suspect that your neighbour is wrong in every topic, but check with the local Animal Control Officer if your Council does have a policy about extra fencing. Also ask about impounding and what you need to do to impound stray animals. If you want to use the Council to help sort the neighbour out, they have to be told when an impoundment has occurred. The compensation for feed is miniscule, but you can invoice for labour at a reasonable cost. I would think $50 per hour is reasonable for mustering a lone bull.

More
6 years 8 months ago #514041 by igor
Neighbour is mistaken in many ways as LR has said. The thing with keeping bulls off boundaries is not an absolute but relies upon friendly communication and a bit of give and take with one another. The key thing is to not have bulls on both sides of the boundary fence at the same time or it is likely that pretty soon you will not have two mobs with a boundary fence between but rather next to no fence left and a mixed mob of both your and the neighbour's bulls.
If neighbour's cow jumps in with your bull and gets jumped as it were it is not really your problem unless she has caused damage.

Time to create page: 0.177 seconds