How open are you online??

More
17 years 2 months ago #408 by Celtic_Kiwi
Just wondering how open you are about personal details online?

As I get to know people, using my nic seems a bit 'distant', yet for safety reasons, I would think it sensible not to name all my children etc. That being said, I HAVE posted a picture of our family.....

Just interested in other people's online boundaries.:)

Celtic_Kiwi
AKA Nikki

Tir Na NOg

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 2 months ago #44139 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic How open are you online??
If I email people from this site I use my real name, but on this site I am just Tigger. Some here use their first name, I can't see any harm in it. But personally I wouldn't use my last name.

I usually just make up my own 'nicknames' to friendly things up - so Pumpkingirl is PG, AdoubleJ is A2J etc...and you'd be CK! The monikers I find hard are those that seem to be random collections of letters that you can't actually say out loud, for some reason that annoys the bejesus out of me as without being able to pronounce their online name I can't seem to think of them as an acquaintance, more as just a serial number (does that sound too weird?) [:I]

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
17 years 2 months ago #44140 by Dream Weaver
I am with Tigger on this. I am also on another forum which I have been on for many years. Its for woman and i have made 2 very close friends, one whom I have met and lives in Australia, we keep in constant contact.

More
17 years 2 months ago #44147 by sundaysbest
I'm not super open, especially when on a new forum - but I belong to one other, where I've met a few people and are great mates with a couple - so my details did come out - through private emails, but I doubt I'd be posting up details of me and my family, my address, phone numbers, family album etc! You never know - one day I could be soooo popular everyone would want to stalk me!! HAHAHA!
Also in saying this - I've already visited Spoook from here and been in touch with PumpkinGirl by email too - nice people!

Sundays :)

• Toni - Northland
17 years 2 months ago #44150 by Toni - Northland
Replied by Toni - Northland on topic How open are you online??
Sundays, you will have to come to our next lsb bbq, whenever that is, hasn't been one for a while. I have met a few on here, but don't have my email on my profile. People can email me through Kate though. Sorry Kate.[:I] The people I have met from here are all neat people. STILL WANT TO MEET MAGGIES MUM THOUGH!!!!!!!!!![}:)][}:)][}:)]

More
17 years 2 months ago #44151 by Isla
Replied by Isla on topic How open are you online??
Quite a lot of my contact information is published online, a little by me, but mostly because of the breed society of which I am a member. Anyone who wants to could find me - and occasionally people turn up here whom I've never met and sometimes I haven't known they've been coming!

More
17 years 2 months ago #44152 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic How open are you online??
Mine is a little like yours Isla, anyone who wanted to track me down knowing what work I did could do so easily. But a little mystery is nice [}:)]

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
17 years 2 months ago #44155 by kate
Replied by kate on topic How open are you online??
Well my full name is on here for all to see and I'm still alive to tell the tale. A lot of people know where I live although I don't give out too many details online.

I'm much more anonymous on other forums though. I have no choice here as it's my website but I don't think I could say it's caused me any problems. I would be much more worried putting my full details on some overseas forums but kiwis are generally good people :D Also - I doubt that a lifestyle farming website would interest the nutters out there. Apart from the nutters already on here....

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

More
17 years 2 months ago #44157 by GBpeter
Replied by GBpeter on topic How open are you online??
The best rule is publish the minimum - some nutters cruise the forums looking for personal id. I am always stunned at the amount of detail a lot of bloggers put up (name, address, phone numbers, photos) it certainly provides a start point for identity fraud if not worse. A lot of net users have two e-mail addresses - a 'private' one and a 'public' one (eg Hotmail) for surfing which can be binned if you start having too much spam/any hassle - and don't use your full name in the e-mail address like I do!

• Toni - Northland
17 years 2 months ago #44159 by Toni - Northland
Apart from the nutters already on here....

MAGGIES MUM!!!!!!! OI, did you see what Kate called you????[^][^][^]

More
17 years 2 months ago #44160 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic How open are you online??

quote:Originally posted by Kate

Cheers
Kate

theres Plenty of us here ain't there dearie :D

I tend to use kiwi303 on pretty much all my forums, except for a few rare ones like the hunting site where I'm under my first name. It depends a lot on how extensive the site is, and what the focus is... I doubt i would put any details on Murderers Inc... [:P] But generally, anyone with a bit of internet understanding can track anyone else down. I got challenged by a mate on MSN once whom I only knew by his handle to find out who he was and how to find him. i dug out a stopwatch (actually my mobile had that function) and 8 minutes latter havign used google and then www.whitepages.com i was talkign to him on the phone giving his address, school he attended, sports team he was on, and asking if that was enough to win the bet.

If you have an ISP email, theres a good chance of finding the person with a bit of work. Hotmail and yahoo tend to be disposable.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
17 years 2 months ago #44165 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic How open are you online??
I used to have my details on a "schoolfriends" type website, thinking rather innocently that was I "talking" to my immediate old school friends, but one day was approached in the ladies toilet of a supermarket was I so and so... (yesss).

I didn't immediately recognise the person (you know what hairdressers are like, always have their "do" differently in various colours, shapes and sizes), but she was my x's first fiancee.

We had been friends for a few years but stopped seeing each other socially for whatever reason at the time and she turned up at my wedding unannounced and uninvited.

It was ok to catch up, she "knew" we had divorced, but then because she knew a few things about me that I had written on the school forum (ie hopes and future dreams inc. moving to NZ) I then felt a tad invaded and started to question my reason for declaring what I had on such a public forum. It was purely of my own doing of course.

Didn't think much more about it, until one day I spotted my Hubby's ex defacto's brother on there and realised he may have read my bio as well.
Taking into account the difficulties associated with their relationship ending, I felt it best to pull the bio from the site completely...

I have since checked in under a fake account name and found his details "changed" as well.... coincidence or not, I don't know, but I learnt my lesson.

• maggies mum
17 years 2 months ago #44176 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic How open are you online??

quote:Originally posted by Toni - Northland

MAGGIES MUM!!!!!!! OI, did you see what Kate called you????[^][^][^]

OOH!!!! Well I never! Some people eh!:D:D:D

One day Toni we'll meet up I reckon, best everyone take cover I reckon!!
:p ;):D

I'm a shy retiring type and quite private..................and if ya believe that you'll believe anything![}:)]

I have my blog etc, so folks at home can see what we get up to, but I'm seriously behind on recent stuff

• maggies mum
17 years 2 months ago #44177 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic How open are you online??
Actually Toni, BD & I will be heading up Russell way later in the year, I've no idea if your near there or not, but if you are then perhaps October will be the big meet time!

• Toni - Northland
17 years 2 months ago #44200 by Toni - Northland
We are on the way to Russell. Email me through Kate nearer the time and I can meet you in town or you could turn off the highway and take a 'shortcut' back onto the highway. When in October??? Son is getting married, on the 20th I think it is. I had better find out so I turn up on the right day.:D

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds