Do cats remember?

More
6 years 10 months ago #40129 by Rod Brown
Do cats remember? was created by Rod Brown
I have been looking after my son's two cats while he is in the UK for a month. They took nearly a week to settle in but are now really at home, in and out at their leisure bringing in the odd rabbit and bird etc. They are due to go back next week and the question is if my son goes away again in a few months or even in a years time and he wants us to look after them again which is highly likely will they remember this place and slot back in again quickly?

Now sold block, of no fixed abode, building new house. Darling wife has passed 1 year ago.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 10 months ago #511544 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Do cats remember?
They'll remember, and because they have had long enough to settle in now, they will adjust quicker next time.
They might even resent going back to his place.[;)]

More
6 years 10 months ago #511545 by Edenview
Replied by Edenview on topic Do cats remember?
We had this problem as we used to care for an elderly relative on our days off. He lived rural so we took our cat to sort the mouse problem. When it was time to go home cat hid he didn't want to go back to town. In the end we left him, he enjoyed being spoilt and fed cream and steak!

More
6 years 10 months ago #511549 by Rod Brown
Replied by Rod Brown on topic Do cats remember?
It will be interesting when they go home as my son and his wife are at work all day and we being retirees are home all day and I do know they love it here, but my son loves them more! You know the scenario double income no kids! but spoilt cats and we don't want them permantly as we travel a bit too.

Now sold block, of no fixed abode, building new house. Darling wife has passed 1 year ago.

More
6 years 10 months ago #511551 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Do cats remember?
They will remember what you want them to forget, and forget what you want them to remember. Thus next time they return to your place, it would be wise to restrain them in your house or their cage for 24 hours.

More
6 years 9 months ago #511602 by Wes
Replied by Wes on topic Do cats remember?
They definately remember....my 1 cat knows exactly when its treat time haha.
He also knows when i go shower at night as he waits for me...
This has been going on for nearly 2 years now

More
6 years 9 months ago #511620 by lisaeve
Replied by lisaeve on topic Do cats remember?
they will remember. My cat used to be quite happy with regular short visits to my parents' place. And then he lived with them for six years while I was overseas, but still remembered me when I came back to visit, and was quite happy to come back and live with me when I came back for good. Probably helped that he likes being the only cat in the house and there wasn't a dog around to 'cuddle' him.

17 Ha lifestyle property in Bay of Plenty... 7 Ha covenanted bush, remainder scrub, hills, and flat.

More
6 years 9 months ago #512128 by Belle Bosse
Replied by Belle Bosse on topic Do cats remember?
Cats are smart enough to pretend they don't know and pretend they can't be trained... they know very well and have a long memory. They are very underestimated creatures! A recent study has shown they remember 6 times better than dogs!!

My sweet 4 yr old Chantelle still becomes distressed hearing angry voices and punished dogs yelping or whimpering. She will try and see where the dog is to begin with, then will run and hide. I can only guess she began life with dogs that were frequently abused before she herself was dumped on the highway.
She was barely 6 weeks old when rescued off the highway and has been with us ever since. She knows the destination of "camping" and the meanings of "caravan", "container", "up", "fly", "no","lait de coco", "mousie". She also recognizes the scents of our farm and the Auckland base we have moved from. There has been no settling in issues as she is camping in her big caravan.

A previous cat I had in Australia remembered the sound of my car after 18 months absence.

More
6 years 9 months ago #512129 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Do cats remember?
I agree they remember. Our one disliked the sight of our luggage when we were travelling frequently to NZ (based in Aussie) and just recently Daughter and I travelled regionally and out came the bags. The cat was impossible.

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds