Cleaning an unusual ceiling

More
6 years 10 months ago #40084 by kai
We have a conservatory which has a metal insulated roof, something similar I guess to freezer panels, though it is not re-used material it was a bespoke conservatory put on several years ago (not by us).

There was a spotlight installed as the only lighting in there, it was the cheapest white painted two bulb spotlight thing that you probably have seen in many kitchens.
Because the ceiling is low and the light was in the corner, the spotlights have always been almost horizontal rather than pointing downwards.

I have just removed the light fitting as I have bought two new wall light fittings I am going to put up, however because the ceiling is painted metal and because the lights were pointed close to the ceiling, the ceiling has discoloured, it looks like candle smoke. I have tried ammonia that I use for cleaning most things, but no joy.

If it was a average ceiling I would just run a coat of white paint over it, but it is smooth metal and I am not sure how the end result would be. It is also a sort of off white colour, not bright white, so I can't just try and paint over the effected area.

Ideas wanted please.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 10 months ago #511199 by Hawkspur
The fire service have recommendations for cleanup after fire that might be relevant:
Clean soot and smoke from walls and floors with mild soap or detergent or use the following cleaning solution. Wear rubber gloves.
- 4 to 6 tsp emulsifying solvent cleaner (this substance is an effective cleaning agent that can be purchased from a hardware or paint shop)
- 1 cup household cleaner or chlorine bleach
- 4 litres warm water
Rinse with clear warm water, then dry thoroughly.
Don't repaint until the walls and ceilings are completely dry.

If that doesn't help, you'll need to repaint.
A roller would do an OK job over the whole ceiling, but you might need to do a spot paint and leave for a while to see whether the soot comes through the paint and therefore needs sealing first, or the paint doesn't stick to the special paint used on the steel, and you need an etch primer. You could also phone a panel manufacturer to check what paint system they tend to use.

More
6 years 10 months ago #511200 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Cleaning an unusual ceiling
OH has just suggested car polish- T cut if you are from the UK.
It is not soot, probably discoloured paint.

More
6 years 10 months ago #511217 by Stikkibeek
We had a conservatory built in our old place, that had a roof made of flat iron on top and anodized aluminium underneath. It sandwiched a layer of polystyrene about 2" think in between. For discolouration like that I would suggest a gently circular rub with jiff on a damp cloth and then wipe off with clean damp cloth.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
6 years 10 months ago #511224 by stephclark
sugar soap?

• 8moselle
6 years 10 months ago #511531 by 8moselle
Replied by 8moselle on topic Cleaning an unusual ceiling
consider hiring an extra hand...

Time to create page: 0.226 seconds