Windows 10

More
8 years 7 months ago #513377 by rivercottage
Replied by rivercottage on topic Windows 10
Hi everyone. I took the plunge a couple of weeks ago on my work computer. I was having problems with Windows Upgrade not installing "critial" upgrades on my Win 8.2. So far so good. It boots up so much faster than before, and I have only found one thing that I couldn't do. I use Word, Excel, gmail, powerpoint etc and have not had any problems flicking back and forth between them. On Win 8.2 I kept getting problems wiht Excel freezing. Also. I like to use my Windows Explorer in preview window mode and I was getting problems where the preview mode was taking so long to preview and then "let go" of large files that I had to wait several minutes before I could open them in Excel or Word. This problem has gone away.

Windows 10 is quite different because it is designed to be seamless between PC, tablet and phone. Therefore some functions are missing/in different places than they used to be. For example, using the new and improved Internet Explorer (which now has a new short name that I can't remember), you can't share an internet page with someone. You can only share it to your own Notebook application. Completely useless so I use Google Chrome or Firefox in preference to the Windows 10 browser. However having said that, the new browser does have a gadget that lets you annotate web pages - drawing a circle around an interesting bit, typing a note etc.

The look of the actual screens and dialogue boxes is not that nice - the tabs in the browser etc. are squared off, not rounded as I have been used to, and the outline is very thin lines - makes it look a bit "test model" rather than a slick product. As Organix said, I just went in and changed some of my preferences rather than using the Win10 defaults.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago #513392 by spark
Replied by spark on topic Windows 10

Name123;518735 wrote: The worst feature in Windows 10 is the way they suck up all your bandwidth distributing more free copies to other people.

Or how about Windows 10 not letting you reject an update (unless you have the "enterprise" version) or the allegations made by some that Windows 10 does not respect your privacy eg:
[URL] arstechnica.com/information-technology/2...alking-to-microsoft/ [/URL]

Looks like it's being back-ported to Win 7 & 8.x too:
[URL] www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/08...ows-7-and-windows-8/ [/URL]

Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds