Windows 10

More
8 years 9 months ago #40021 by Organix
Windows 10 was created by Organix
After occasionally looking at the W10 symbol that popped up on my lappy a few months back I finally took the plunge and upgraded from W7 to W10 this morning.

The process took a couple of hours during which the changeover 'drove' itself with numerous restarts and furious background activity. Eventual start up on W10 was very straightforward with the only input from me (so far) being to nominate functions such as Firefox and Thunderbird rather than the Microsoft defaults, and changing the display functions back to my own preferences.

W10 seems to function very much like W7 though I have to admit to not having done much 'exploring' so far. Anybody else got things to report on W10?

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago #510631 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Windows 10
I'm waiting. I'm on 7 for 64 bit professional (probably put that all the wrong way around, so you can tell I know only that much) and figured I'd wait to see how many bugs they have to swat after enough people install it, before doing so myself. But it's helpful to know you find it much the same. I've loathed the 8 and 8.1 computers I've tried to use.

More
8 years 9 months ago #510633 by Muz1
Replied by Muz1 on topic Windows 10
I look forward to brave progressive people's reports about 10 also.
IT son says to wait for modifications before changing. I have 8.1 and cannot find ANYTHING better on it than was on XP that I changed from.

Everything Must be Somewhere

More
8 years 9 months ago #510634 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Windows 10

Ruth;517585 wrote: I'm waiting. I'm on 7 for 64 bit professional (probably put that all the wrong way around, so you can tell I know only that much) and figured I'd wait to see how many bugs they have to swat after enough people install it, before doing so myself. But it's helpful to know you find it much the same. I've loathed the 8 and 8.1 computers I've tried to use.

FYI, I'm also running 64 bit Pro :)

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
8 years 9 months ago #510635 by wandering free
Replied by wandering free on topic Windows 10
I'm in the process of downloading the 64bit version from Microsoft after the Windows 10 upgrade from windows 7 home 64bit failed.

Just me and the cat now, on 2 acres of fruit and veg + hazel nuts, macadamia, chestnuts and walnuts,
www.youtube.com/user/bandjsellars?feature=mhee

More
8 years 9 months ago #510647 by Sandra Pedersen
Replied by Sandra Pedersen on topic Windows 10
I downloaded it and have gone back to windows 8.1 didn't like it at all but maybe I will do more research on it. Quite different and although they said my notebook would run it I found it slower than 8.1

sandra pedersen

More
8 years 9 months ago #510649 by Aquila
Replied by Aquila on topic Windows 10
I'm still running XP. It's stable and predictable.

More
8 years 9 months ago #510680 by Sandra Pedersen
Replied by Sandra Pedersen on topic Windows 10
We are running our PC on XP too Aquila

sandra pedersen

More
8 years 9 months ago #510693 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Windows 10
XP was a very good programme, and I'm sorry my ancient computer crashed and burned. I'm on 7 now and find lots of things are similar, but quite a few of my old good programmes won't run on it even with the compatibility feature used. However the clever IT guys got my ancient Dos 6 family history research programme to work in XP virtual reality. I now have to find a suitable family history programme to transfer my data into.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
8 years 9 months ago #510755 by Baroque
Replied by Baroque on topic Windows 10
DON'T DO IT! [:(!]

My son is working at a network and pc repair company and they have had many failed Win10 upgrades turning up there in the past week, it is apparently another one of those bad upgrades which you should avoid.

Also there are elements in it which are not documented very well, so if you are having issues with it then you should know that they discovered that Win10 contains a tablet mode which is similar to the very worst of the win8 modes with no taskbar and other weird behaviours....

It is not good......... [:(!]

Breeding & training quality Spanish horses - THE horse of Kings! Also breeding Arapawa & Pitt Island sheep.

More
8 years 9 months ago #510780 by Scuba_Steve
Replied by Scuba_Steve on topic Windows 10
Win10 has upgrade problems but to my knowledge no worse than any other Win upgrade, they've always had problems but maybee Win10's are more pronounced due to the OS being free so everyone jumping aboard day1
Speaking of free; Win10 is only free as MS seek to make the cash moneys off the services they push in it & the extensive data mining they're doing with Win10... If you use Facebook or Google etc it's really no worse than what they're doing only it's on OS level rather than web level.

Still I've downloaded it as I'm a gamer & Win10 has DX12 us gamers want (but I'll be doing a fresh install) otherwise to be honest I'd probably just stick with Win7 at least until SP1 is out at a minimum.

Science is but an organized system of ignorance

More
8 years 9 months ago #510781 by footinmouth
Replied by footinmouth on topic Windows 10
I run 64bit professional and upgraded to Win10, very happy with it. First thing I noticed was a reduction in idiot indexing and swap files were much faster. Transferring files from one drive to another is now a matter of seconds or minutes - not set to run overnight. My PC is due for a well overdue rebuild and WIN10 has revived an somewhat flakey pc into a working tool again. I worked out my PC is 8 years old and all I have done to it is add an array of drives.

More
8 years 8 months ago #511604 by Wes
Replied by Wes on topic Windows 10
As with anything pc related...backup your data first....that is rule 1.
I own and IT Security and Data Protection comany so go through this all the time.

Also, nnever download the new OS in the early stage...wait for atleast6months until all the bugs have been reported and fixed ...the fixes are generally delivered to you via windows update.

The updates are annoying but they are there for a reason.

More
8 years 8 months ago #511630 by wandering free
Replied by wandering free on topic Windows 10
I have the freeware version of AOMEI backupper and always keep a backup of the C partition at's saved me from having to reload windows a few times.

www.backup-utility.com/

Just me and the cat now, on 2 acres of fruit and veg + hazel nuts, macadamia, chestnuts and walnuts,
www.youtube.com/user/bandjsellars?feature=mhee

More
8 years 8 months ago #511645 by Name123
Replied by Name123 on topic Windows 10
The worst feature in Windows 10 is the way they suck up all your bandwidth distributing more free copies to other people.

Time to create page: 0.186 seconds