Cat bite - VERY swollen finger - this totally works!

• Andrea
8 years 11 months ago #39911 by Andrea

THIS TOTALLY WORKS.
Yesterday morning, I was bitten below the lower joint of my ring finger by a wild cat. It was a deep bite. Went to GP, tetanus jab (OW!), and a course of STRONG ABs. Doctor said swelling might get worse, just to keep an eye on my ring, as it could turn into a tourniquet. Woke up to a very tight and increasingly painful ring squeezing the life out of my finger.

After keeping my arm elevated for about 20 minutes (hardly any change in the swelling), and then soaking in ice water (too painful), then running cold water over it, then covering in oil, no way was the ring coming off.

I put a layer of 'second skin' (the stuff you put on burns) over the bite areas so I wouldn't press the dental floss into the bites (one of which is more like a slash). Followed the method of the video exactly. Whilst it was HURTING as the ring came up over the really swollen (probably wouldn't be hurting as much or as swollen if it wasn't a cat bite), the ring came off! I didn't want to have to have it cut off, it's a vintage SS ring for our 25th anniversary a couple of years ago. And now my finger is settling down without the ring strangling it.

Oh, and I did it myself. It hurt, I figured it was going to hurt, and if DH did it and I yelped, he would have stopped, but I would keep going.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago #509630 by Hawkspur
Interesting technique. It makes sense.

I hope the finger is OK. Joint injuries and finger injuries can take ages to heal.

More
8 years 11 months ago #509632 by Andrea1
Thanks, Hs. It is incredible how sore and stiff it is. If it's still like this in the morning, I'm meant to go back in for another assessment.

Anyone gets bitten by a cat, even if it's theirs and NOT sick, go see your GP. My tetanus was out of date by many years (last one I had was 1982!).

More
8 years 11 months ago #509633 by Andrea1
Oh, and I had seen the above video before, as it's circulated through social media. It's one of those things you look at and go, yeah, that's interesting, wonder if it's for real, and why would I ever need it. I'm glad I remembered it, or I would have had to have the ring cut off.

More
8 years 11 months ago #509635 by Belle Bosse
Hi Andrea,

Sorry to hear about the cat bite. They are very painful... hydrotherapy (alternating hot and cold water treatments) will help your hand heal and help the swelling go down.

Get a large basin or a bucket of hot water... (dish washing hot)... hot enough to just keep your hand in. About 40 - 45C if you have a thermometer. Get another bucket or basin with cold water as cold as you can get it. Keep your uninjured hand in the hot water to keep track of how hot the water is, and keep the water moving.

Start with the hot water for 3 minutes.
Change to the cold for 1 minute.
Return to the hot for 3 minutes; the cold 1 minute.
Alternate between the hot and the cold for half an hour.
Repeat hydrotherapy treatments x3 times a day or minimum twice a day.

This will improve the blood circulation to and from the wound and speed healing in the process.

It was the only thing I had available when our elderly cat sank her two remaining fangs into my wrist and left 5 deep puncture wounds. Being up at our property and camping over Christmas break and nearly bedtime, I didnt seek any medical help apart from cleaning the wounds. The deepest puncture became infected on the 2nd day.

All I had available were kitchen products... water, camp stove, honey, raw potato, paper towel and cling-wrap, so that is what I used.
Hydrotherapy helped clean and drain the wound. Honey was applied as a poultice till the next hydrotherapy session. I went to bed with a raw grated potato poultice on my wrist. Next morning the wound drained freely after the hydrotherapy session... It healed quickly from there with continuing water treatments for another few days. No dr, no shots and no antibiotics.
Only thing I'd do differently next time is take Olive leaf extract, have a first aid kit on hand and add Tea-tree oil to the hot water.
The old cat is since RIP, she didnt mean it, was just very scared when I went to pick her up.

More
8 years 11 months ago #509638 by stephclark
wow.. good trick... :D :D ..shame I didn't know this the day I tried on a 20k diamond ring ( JUST CAUSE I COULD ) and couldn't get the thing off again[:0][:0]

poor mangled finger after much wrenching and twisting...funny how the jewellery store didn't see the funny side of this...

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds