Anybody got a biogas generator (digester) going?

More
7 years 1 month ago #39660 by rhyso
I am just toying with the idea of a biogas generator for cooking.

I was reluctant to use Gas (LPG) as I dont want to have it shipped in all the time but if it was use to supplement biogas when the generators ceases working periodicly then it would not be so much of a big deal.

The usual bacteria in these generators used in India and china for centuries needs a relatively warm climate. Recently it has been discovered that Microbes called psychrophiles thrive in cold and freezing temperatures and do work in these generators. This will make NZ much more feasible I guess.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20827854.000-cold-climates-no-bar-to-biogas-production.html#.VWDi10-qqko

There is a rustic video or a rustic way to make these quite easily and with a bit of know how and thinking one can be made much cleaner in form and more efficient with tighter fitting tanks and piping.

part 1 of the video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hZ0hpLe1a4

Has anyone done this before in NZ that is on here? I saw a video online from one in Nelson...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 1 month ago #507010 by Kiwi303
Nope, but I Want to...

Too many projects, not enough time...

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
7 years 1 month ago #507029 by Stikkibeek
We use LPG for our cook top, but just have it on 9kg cylinders and fill at the local service station as needed. No hirage costs this way as we own the cylinders and one last almost 6 months.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
7 years 1 month ago #507034 by rhyso

Stikkibeek;513603 wrote: We use LPG for our cook top, but just have it on 9kg cylinders and fill at the local service station as needed. No hirage costs this way as we own the cylinders and one last almost 6 months.

how many of you are you cooking for? Is it just for your stove or oven also?
6 months i s along time for a 9kg cylinder isn't it?

More
7 years 1 month ago #507051 by Stikkibeek
Cooking for 2. The oven is electric but doesn't get daily use....maybe 2x a week.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
7 years 1 month ago #507057 by Organix

Stikkibeek;513603 wrote: We use LPG for our cook top, but just have it on 9kg cylinders and fill at the local service station as needed. No hirage costs this way as we own the cylinders and one last almost 6 months.

We also use 9kg bottles for our hob top but this includes a large 'wok' burner so aperhaps why 4 months is our norm. We also do 24 hour low simmering of stock/bone broth about once a month. Oven is electric.

Note that from our experience if you do 'Swappa Bottle' you can expect to get less than if you do the 'at station' refill. The only time to do the Swappa thing is if your gas bottle is near its (10 year) expiry, and then make sure that you get a newer dated bottle.

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
7 years 1 month ago #507069 by Anakei

Organix;513632 wrote:

Note that from our experience if you do 'Swappa Bottle' you can expect to get less than if you do the 'at station' refill. The only time to do the Swappa thing is if your gas bottle is near its (10 year) expiry, and then make sure that you get a newer dated bottle.

Excellent tip Thanks!

I make my bone broth in the slow cooker (24 hours) with great results :)

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

More
7 years 1 month ago #507071 by Name123

rhyso;513549 wrote:
The usual bacteria in these generators used in India and china for centuries needs a relatively warm climate. Recently it has been discovered that Microbes called psychrophiles thrive in cold and freezing temperatures and do work in these generators. This will make NZ much more feasible I guess.

I did quite a bit of research into these in the past, and in the end realised that the temperature thing was the deal-breaker. Thanks for the pointer, will check this out. Please post anything further you discover.

More
7 years 1 month ago #507074 by rhyso
Looks like we will be off grid so not sure electric will be feasible for oven.

Though even if we use a 9kg every 2 months it would still be not a bad deal.

I guess I was basing my position on our past experience of a 4 bedroom house with gas cooking and gas water heating... the hot water was probably chewing through all the gas.

I want t keep our long term bill to a minimum. and can afford to invest more in the beginning as once we make the move to our place, our double income with no tax will be gone.

Bio Gas is definitely something I want to experiment with.

and It can be used in LPG appliances especially if it is scrubbed to a higher percentage of methane.

I guess gas cooking is a good idea and gives me options.

More
7 years 1 month ago #507082 by Kiwi303
Hmm... seems like you're talking about a methane digester system? My bad for not reading the links.

I was thinking of a Gasifier, as: http://www.instructables.com/tag/type-id/category-technology/keyword-gasifier/

Plumb one up to a V8 big block turning a generator and a battery bank, instead of trucking in diesel to a generator for off grid backup.

More
7 years 1 month ago #507093 by rhyso
Yeah a digester is exactly what I am talking about.

More
7 years 1 month ago #507097 by spark

Kiwi303;513660 wrote: I was thinking of a Gasifier...

A bit off-topic, but would it make more sense to run a gasifier on charcoal because it has had almost all of the tar already cooked out of it so you that you'd only need particulate filtration and gas cooling between gasifier and the engine? (ie burn the tar as part of the charcoal production process so you don't have to clean it out of your pipes and filters later!)

If memory serves me right, about 5L by volume of dry small chip charcoal will produce the same mechanical energy from the engine as 1L of petrol will. I also reccon that you could start a charcoal gasifier with an electric fan and a glow plug from an indirect injected diesel engine.

Do you want to take this to a new thread Kiwi303?

Cheers

More
7 years 1 month ago #507098 by Kiwi303
Probably a good Idea. I'll just start another thread...

More
7 years 1 month ago #507107 by rhyso

Name123;513646 wrote: I did quite a bit of research into these in the past, and in the end realised that the temperature thing was the deal-breaker. Thanks for the pointer, will check this out. Please post anything further you discover.

with a bit of looking, it seems a digester with psychrophiles is not as efficient (20-30%) as the bacteria found in cow manure.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23837352

This study does mention that the digseter was inefficient and that the gas was not taken regularly. It was also a manure only digester and I plan on using food scraps of starchy and sugary content.

will be interesting to play with.

I still wonder if it would be worth while making one using the regular microbes and using a green house type environment and insulation to keep it warmer.

What did you research have you conclude? not worth it at all?

Time to create page: 0.240 seconds