Seeing as this is LIFESTYLE block forums...

More
8 years 11 months ago #39591 by Kiwi303
Here's the result a day of the life style I like :D

See attached piccies :D

Attached files
File Attachment:
File Attachment:
File Attachment:

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago #506361 by Andrea1
Nice. What are they, dogfish?

More
8 years 11 months ago #506363 by Kiwi303
Yep, Spiny Dogfish. about the 50cm and 60cm mark, well over the 40cm measure in the lid of the ice bin, not that SD has a size limit anyway, just a 15 fish catch limit round Canty.

More
8 years 11 months ago #506395 by Aquila
Those pics look familiar, Same as the ones on facebook ;-)

More
8 years 11 months ago #506408 by rivercottage
Looks tasty! How do you like to cook them? :p

More
8 years 11 months ago #506435 by Kiwi303
@Aquila, yep, and on VK as well :D
I believe you have an inflatable boat as well, there was a thread on F&H about having a small portable boat to get around the harbours. Mines a OLD cheap 3.8m RHIB with a 2 horse johnson.

@Rivercottage, Hit them several times with a cleaver or big knife, chinese style, then chuck them in a pot of curry after skinning them.
If I was having them bare, as fillets or in something without a strong flavour, I would have skinned them there and then while on the boat. Sharkskin can impart a distinct ammoniacal flavour to the meat since sharks are just plain weird and the skin doubles as their urinary track, sorta pissing out their pores.
Quick on ice and chilled down and clean, they'll be fine frozen and then skinned just before popping them in a curry. It's all in the prep, get them chilled and processed before the skin can taint them. Never just leave them overnight in the ice box to do in the morning.

More
8 years 11 months ago #506447 by Aquila
I sold the boat, Wasn't using it enough and went through a marriage breakup so needed the cash. Will probably buy a SOT Kayak that I can fish and dive from at some stage in the future. At the moment I shore dive and do some reasonable (4 or 5 km, one way) surface swims, Hunting along the way.

More
8 years 11 months ago #506449 by Hawkspur
Well that made me curious, and I found out after a few misleads that sharks don't excrete urea out their skin, but they do have a high concentration of it in their blood. This is to keep the concentration of salts high enough that they don't lose essential water to the otherwise more briny ocean by osmosis, but keep the level of Na Cl to a range that vertebrate animals can live with. They still excrete urea via their kidneys though.
I guess this blood urea concentration makes bleeding them important if you are going to eat them.

More
8 years 11 months ago #506450 by WillEyre
I can't believe you are serious about eating spiny dogfish. Even desperate seagulls tend to eschew them.
Almost every fisherman that I know curses their luck when they catch them. And after a lifetime (almost) of fishing I've honestly never seen anyone, (with any discernment), take one home.
Second thoughts; that's not entirely true - I've occasionally seen kids take them home to their Mother.
If anyone is planning on eating them in a curry I'd suggest they use no more than 30 grams of 'fish' to each kilogram of curry powder.

I liked Occam's Razor so much, I bought the company.

More
8 years 11 months ago #506492 by Muz1
Did they have spines at base of fins? The pics look more like spotted dog sharks which are sooo much better eating. Still need to bleed by cutting tail as soon as possible.

Everything Must be Somewhere

More
8 years 11 months ago #506494 by kernels

WillEyre;512934 wrote: I can't believe you are serious about eating spiny dogfish. Even desperate seagulls tend to eschew them.
Almost every fisherman that I know curses their luck when they catch them. And after a lifetime (almost) of fishing I've honestly never seen anyone, (with any discernment), take one home.
Second thoughts; that's not entirely true - I've occasionally seen kids take them home to their Mother.
If anyone is planning on eating them in a curry I'd suggest they use no more than 30 grams of 'fish' to each kilogram of curry powder.

Hahaha, was thinking something similar, but held my tongue!

Shows how lucky we are up here in the north, If all I caught after a couple of hours on the water was two crappy sharks, it would be a disaster. I'm always complaining that I can't bloody catch anything other than nice fat snapper!

More
8 years 11 months ago #506509 by Kiwi303

Muz1;512980 wrote: Did they have spines at base of fins?

Yep, tossed the bits by now, but yes there were spines at the rear of the fins.

They're not going into something delicate and flavoursome like fish balls, but into strongly spiced full bodied indian style curry with coconut cream and curry paste

Who uses that funny yellow curry powder grandma used to make curry with sultanas any more now there are better and more flavoursome ethnic curry bases available now?

More
8 years 11 months ago #506512 by Kiwi303

kernels;512982 wrote: I'm always complaining that I can't bloody catch anything other than nice fat snapper!

I'm looking forward to being back in the Nelson Lakes and close to the sounds... Blue Cod on the menu, and hit the shed with the angle grinder, welder, reinforcing rod, wire mesh and bits and bobs to put together some cray pots!

More
8 years 11 months ago #506531 by Stikkibeek

WillEyre;512934 wrote: And after a lifetime (almost) of fishing I've honestly never seen anyone, (with any discernment), take one home.

Done a little fishing myself! :p

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
8 years 11 months ago #506536 by WillEyre

Stikkibeek;513024 wrote: Done a little fishing myself! :p

And a Spiny Dog followed you home, right?

I liked Occam's Razor so much, I bought the company.

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds