10KWH home battery pack, USD$3500 :)

More
7 years 1 month ago #39565 by rhyso
Tesla announces Power Wall (video)

^This is very exciting.

what more can I say, let Elon explain by watching the video in the link.

:D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 1 month ago #506093 by muri
Hope the electricity companies are starting to worry.
Not sure how many people are actually off grid in this country but this is definitely not early enough and certainly I hope will have a huge impact on the way energy is produced

More
7 years 1 month ago #506094 by rhyso

muri;512543 wrote: Hope the electricity companies are starting to worry.
Not sure how many people are actually off grid in this country but this is definitely not early enough and certainly I hope will have a huge impact on the way energy is produced

I would say they are sweating bullets...

Speculation was suggesting that these packs would be about 3 times this price... I was watching the live feed of the announcement and my jaw dropped when he said $3500...

Though these are not perfect and a reasonable sized house would need two of these to be nicely off grid (they are 2kw constant or 3.3 peak), it is a start.

Like the Model S, these products give the early adopters something to have that is nice, while the Tesla can grow, build this gigafactory and bring us affordable electric cars and nice energy storage systems in the medium term.

That is the plan and it is working very well.

If the power companies do not embrace net metering, then the solar revolution will ruin them, rather than save them a fortune.

My 15k to connect to the grid will be nicely spent on a couple of these and an off grid inverter and charge controller system.

More
7 years 1 month ago #506095 by kate
Wow - a real game-changer. I'll be interested to see how 'big oil' respond...

Web Goddess

More
7 years 1 month ago #506137 by Denneaux
Ooh interesting! Thanks!

Unless stated, the above post is not meant as criticism.

Go back and read it again in your HAPPY voice!

More
7 years 1 month ago #506254 by Organix

Kate;512545 wrote: Wow - a real game-changer. I'll be interested to see how 'big oil' respond...

Vector look to be moving quickly on the "Powerwall" with "special relationship" status with Tesla already.

This Rod Oram interview (from 6:30 to 17:30) on Radio NZ yesterday provides some excellent insight into how this technology is moving, including Vector's strategy. He sees the Powerwall as being limited but the start of huge changes. Also the electricity industry has a report out in June in relation to this tech', and July brings Tiwai Point smelter's future plans which potentially has huge impact on NZ's electricity environment. Interesting times [;)]

Radio NZ's Afternoon program is also going to be featuring the implications of the Tesla Powerwall today. Link later... the first subject discussed but is is obvious that neither Simon or Paul know much about PV so no real info came out of the interview .
I

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
7 years 1 month ago #506265 by rhyso
Thanks for that info.

Definitely interesting times.

As excited as I am to move ahead with our project, I am happy that all this s happening now when we have a couple of years realistically before we actually build.

This will give this whole thing time to move into place Just imagine when the Gigafactory comes online.

I know there are a number of other companies already offering and working on home energy storage systems. Fronius and Solar edge... GE is also working on something plus many more.

This all equates to better and cheaper energy storage systems for us all in the future.

Any links from NZ in regards to this are highly appreciated.

More
7 years 1 month ago #506273 by wandering free
If the return on exported electricity drops to 8c kw like it's been forecast to do it would make a lot of sense to install a couple of these, at the moment we are still getting 17.285c kw and coming out with a reduction of about 50% on what we would be paying.

Looking at NZ total energy use 50% is oil imports which mostly goes on transport, to be really efficient and cut our CO2 we will have to find ways of cutting our dependence on the car, looking at the statistics on obesity that would be a win win. this is my answer:-Peddle assist, 300w motor with a battery that holds 360w and is charged from the solar panels, hills are now a thing of the past and head winds no problem.

Attached files

Just me and the cat now, on 2 acres of fruit and veg + hazel nuts, macadamia, chestnuts and walnuts,
www.youtube.com/user/bandjsellars?feature=mhee

More
7 years 1 month ago #506281 by rhyso

wandering free;512741 wrote: at the moment we are still getting 17.285c kw and coming out with a reduction of about 50% on what we would be paying.

which company are you getting that from?

More
7 years 1 month ago #506290 by wandering free

rhyso;512749 wrote: which company are you getting that from?

Contact Energy, but don't think they are offering that now but have said they will honor the price agreement we started on for the time being.

Just me and the cat now, on 2 acres of fruit and veg + hazel nuts, macadamia, chestnuts and walnuts,
www.youtube.com/user/bandjsellars?feature=mhee

More
7 years 1 month ago #506303 by powerguy
These are not what most people think they are. They operate at around 350VDC so are for extending the operating window of a grid tie inverter, not going off-grid. They can deliver around 2kWh of energy which is not a lot. There are other, better battery options out there for people wanting to go off grid. They may have some application in load shifting so you can use energy produced by your GT system when you get home so don't import as much from the grid but it is a pretty costly way to do it.

Renewable power systems - hydro, wind and solar.
Grid tie and off grid (stand alone)
www.poweron.kiwi.nz

More
7 years 1 month ago #506310 by rhyso
If you have 2 you can get 4kw and 6.6 peak though no?

More
7 years 1 month ago #506312 by Organix

powerguy;512772 wrote: These are not what most people think they are. They operate at around 350VDC so are for extending the operating window of a grid tie inverter, not going off-grid. They can deliver around 2kWh of energy which is not a lot. There are other, better battery options out there for people wanting to go off grid. They may have some application in load shifting so you can use energy produced by your GT system when you get home so don't import as much from the grid but it is a pretty costly way to do it.

Considering these are a convenient, turn-key, nil maintenance product the price seems quite reasonable. Compared to the likes of the RedFlow 10kWh unit US$3.5K is cheap.

NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
7 years 1 month ago #506952 by powerguy

Organix;512781 wrote: Considering these are a convenient, turn-key, nil maintenance product the price seems quite reasonable. Compared to the likes of the RedFlow 10kWh unit US$3.5K is cheap.

But that is the point - they are NOT turnkey products. They are just a battery!

Renewable power systems - hydro, wind and solar.
Grid tie and off grid (stand alone)
www.poweron.kiwi.nz

More
7 years 13 hours ago #508699 by Organix
I am finding this series (2 so far) of online articles on Elon Musk, Tesla, SpaceX, etc., extremely interesting. That link to the second article covers Musk's 'grand scheme' which includes an excellent summary of human's quest for energy from fire to future. The first in the series gives a background to Elon Musk and his plans for the (our) future. Overall they put the Powerwall and Tesla's other plans into a very logical context.

Both are fairly lengthy webpages which require good bandwidth but well worth the effort :cool:

Time to create page: 0.223 seconds