Hardwearing crocs - which to buy?

More
7 years 4 months ago #39272 by welshie
It's time to replace my worn croc-type shoes as the prickles keep poking through the toes now! They (or gumboots) are worn constantly out and about around the LSB so they get quite a hard life with lots of walking on rough shingle, stoney ground etc. Just wondering if any croc wearers can suggest a really hard wearing brand?

welshie

Don't worry about what people think...they don't do it very often.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 4 months ago #503350 by Kalmara
found the ones from the shoe warehouse to be quite durable. Have more of a closed toe to keep the prickles out :)

More
7 years 4 months ago #503356 by Mich
I know these are probably a bit more expensive than crocs, but can I put in a plug for Birkenstock Birki clogs? www.birkenstock.co.nz/products/?productCatalogID=6474

I've had a pair of the Super Birki's for at least 4-5 years, worn them virtually daily and only had to replace the inners once. Both inners and the Birki's are completely washable, the clogs are waterproof and sheep can stand on my feet without crippling me. They mould to your feet and are the most comfortable pair of get around the farm footwear I've ever come across. They come in different widths and are designed to be worn by people who are on their feet all day. Highly recommend them. No affiliation - I'm just so darned impressed with them.

Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

More
7 years 4 months ago #503357 by welshie
Thanks everyone. :) mich do those ones 'breath" ok with the closed in toes?

welshie

More
7 years 4 months ago #503359 by Stikkibeek
My crocs came from the redshed and were only $8, so I don't care if I only get a year or two out of them.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
7 years 4 months ago #503360 by Anakei

Mich;509485 wrote: I know these are probably a bit more expensive than crocs, but can I put in a plug for Birkenstock Birki clogs? www.birkenstock.co.nz/products/?productCatalogID=6474

I've got real crocs which I wear around the house and garden (and out shopping when I forget to take them off[:I]) and I love them but they are LETHAL on wet floors. I've nearly killed myself several times with spectacular slips! the Birkenstocks appear to be non slip and have all the comfort and advantages of Crocs so I shall give them a serious consideration next time. but, boy, are they expensive :(

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

More
7 years 4 months ago #503362 by Andrea1
I have had a pair of those Birki clogs since 1992. Lost the insoles ages ago, but the clogs live on. I only use them to hang out the laundry these days, as they don't offer enough arch support or cush to my sad old feet.

Those red shed crocs only last me about 6 months on our rough, dry, shingly ground around here, as the sole wear slick really fast. Quite dangerously slick, in fact.

I have been wearing Boonies (used to be Bogs) gumboots for a couple of years now, and love the support and comfort they offer. Recently found out they now make a clog, so I have ordered a pair for myself. Will hopefully be here soon! And they aren't that dear, at $79.

More
7 years 4 months ago #503363 by igor
Are the soles of the cheap croc copies thick enough to permit the insertion of hobnails or screwed cleats to increase grip in the wet?
I reserve my old split gumboots for use in dry weather and save the good ones for wet conditions only. This being the case I have no need for clogs or crocs.

More
7 years 4 months ago #503368 by Mich
Hi Welshie - re the Birki's breathing OK - if you're wearing them without socks all day in sweltering heat, then yep, they can get a bit hot. If I'm going to have them on all day, I pop a pair of socks on and problem solved. In winter though, they're brilliant with or without socks.

Anakei, the Birki's are designed to be worn in areas that can get wet - e.g. kitchens, hospitals, landscape situations and I've found they grip well. Not as good as if you've got hobnails on going down a near-vertical slippery grassy slope, of course, LOL. Yes, they could be considered expensive compared to other products, but considering that I've worn mine everywhere, every day for 4-5 years and I'm picking they've still got at least another 4-5 years wear in them, I think it's money very well spent.

Andrea mentioned them not giving her enough support without the insoles and I can understand how she might find that, although that's not my own experience. However the insoles they come with make the world of difference and can be replaced. Andrea - could you let us know how your Boonies clogs work out for you? I'd be really interested in your opinion.

Cheers, Mich.

More
7 years 3 months ago #503382 by Hawkspur
Are there any equivalents suitable for people with very flat feet? I need something that can be adjusted down across the arch, because in my feet the arches are completely non existent, so an arched clog slops around a lot and is difficult to walk in. (I can wear lace up shoes if I tie them down hard and have a high arched insole that brings my instep up to meet the upper, but most slip-ons are unwearable as they come.)
In summer, barefoot is my easiest option, but as we are surrounded by gorse, that limits my roaming barefoot, and mud in winter is a pain, as you can't leave feet at the door[;)] and it can get a bit too cold too!
I don't have stock to tread on my toes either. :)

More
7 years 3 months ago #503383 by Andrea1
I also have completely flat feet, hawkspur, and I always wear shoes with good arch support, clogs and slippers included. Not sure why a slip-on with good support wouldn't work for you? But then I'm not in your........feet.....

More
7 years 3 months ago #503390 by Hawkspur
Perhaps mine are particularly low profile flat feet? :confused: I have a big gap above the instep between my foot and the upper of most shoes (in some shoes there is enough room to slide my hand in over my foot and touch my toes).

More
7 years 3 months ago #503423 by Andrea1
I think it's probably because most women's shoes are crap. No arch support. When I wear shoes with good support, I'm not able to do this.

More
7 years 3 months ago #503433 by welshie
Well I ordered some red birkis. :p
I don't mind the cost because I wear them outside all day (unless it's pouring and that hasn't happened here for months sadly![xx(]). And I'm getting to the age where I need to take good care of my feet and my ankles on rough steep ground! The birkis people phoned me to discuss the correct sizing and were VERY helpful. Hoping they will arrive tomorrow and will fit comfortably.

welshie

More
7 years 3 months ago #503441 by Mich
Red Birkis - Cool!!! Glad you found the Birkenstock people helpful - I did too. Hope they live up to my recommendation for you, Welshie. :-) :-) I don't think you'll be disappointed, but I'd love to hear how you find them.
Cheers, Mich.

Time to create page: 0.237 seconds