22 Signs You Are Desperate ...

More
7 years 4 months ago #39238 by Organix
22 Signs You Are Desperate To Quit Your Office Job To Become A Homesteader

The job is reliable. You work in a clean office, and mostly you get paid to sit at a computer and type things. There are even a few nice benefits like accrued vacation and dental. You're living the dream, right?
Wrong.
The signs are there, there's no use denying them any more. Here are 22 signs you are desperate to quit your office job and become a homesteader.

1. You run the world's tiniest farmers market. Out of your cubicle.

2. "Picking up chicks" means something totally different to you than it does to the 20 year old marketing intern with the greasy hair.

3. Everyone in the office is passionate about byflow conversion and you're like, "check out the germination rate of these peppers!"

4. The entire office break-room smells like kimchi. It's your fault, and you aren't Korean.

5. You don't understand why Carhartts and Muck Boots aren't appropriate for Casual Friday.

6. During pointless conference calls you browse seed catalogs. During virtual staff meetings you browse seed catalogs. On hold to IT to reset your password, you browse seed catalogs. During mandatory compliance trainings, you browse seed catalogs. During new project stack sessions, you browse seed catalogs.

7. You bring your dairy goat kids with you to the office and bottle feed them in the Mother's Room.

8. You openly mock your co-workers who play FarmVille on Facebook. Frickin' tourists.

9. You put in for a week of vacation to repair your mini-tractor and actually enjoyed yourself.

10. While peer-interviewing a potential new hire, you grill him for a firm commitment on his stance vis-a-vis determinate vs. indeterminate tomatoes.

11. Your LinkedIn profile lists your professional title as "Senior Weeder, Back Garden." You're a software developer.

12. When you explain things like interactive visual analytics, you start, "Suppose you have two dairy cows"

13. There's an office crisis. Your coworker complains, "everyone is running around like chickens with their heads cut off!" and you respond, dead serious, "No they aren't. Less flapping and squirting here."

14. You stopped caring about the manure on your good office shoes 6 months ago, and the people in the elevator give you funny looks.

15. You bring your lunch in a mason jar. You keep the pens on your desk in a mason jar. You keep change for the vending machine in a mason jar. You keep business cards in a mason jar. You keep USB drives in a mason jar. You keep backup ethernet cables in a mason jar. You tried to keep your tablet, phone and charger in a mason jar but it didn't fit, so you brought in a wooden harvesting basket.

16. Other people bring in donuts on Friday. You bring in growlers of homebrew, and upper management is still deliberating how to react.

17. When you took this job, you did so in part because it was only 5 minutes away from the local grange.

18. Co-workers know which boring commuter car is yours because of the bale of straw in the back seat.

19. You use the giant white board in the fish-bowl conference room to bubble sketch your plans for an off-grid homestead. People mistake it for the new highly redundant data center architecture and you get a raise.

20. You have a nice little side hustle selling free-range eggs to your co-workers for $8 a dozen, and this still doesn't cover the cost of your chicken feed.

21. You've shifted from an 8 am to 5 pm shift to a 4 am to 1 pm shift. You're up at dawn to feed the animals anyway, and wrapping up early gives you more opportunity to work on fencing while it's still light out.

22. You know all about bullshit, and you see more of it in 20 minutes of office politics than on a 20,000 head cattle ranch.

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 4 months ago #502986 by Kilmoon
23. At an office morning tea, co-workers cannot believe that the wall-flower who rarely commented on fashion, world/office politics or even the state of the water cooler, were astounded to realise that you can, in fact, talk for quite awhile about the effects of one years drought on long-term ewe lamb breeding potential.

24. That your coming day off is not for self-pampering, but instead will be spent butchering lambs and ewes for the freezer.

25. When having the above mentioned shared morning tea, co-workers politely ask that you don't bring (on a plate) a once-was-bouncing-around-the-paddock food....nameless store bought is fine.

26. When people are showing around photos of their children and commenting on how well they are doing, you bring out photos of lambs and discuss their growth rates.

More
7 years 4 months ago #502998 by kate
Replied by kate on topic 22 Signs You Are Desperate ...
I think we should be able to create our own NZ version...

22 Signs You Are Desperate To Quit Your Office Job To Become A Lifestyle Farmer

Kilmoon has started us off...any other contributions?

Web Goddess

More
7 years 4 months ago #503064 by kindajojo
When dressed in a suit for that important meeting at work, you decide on the way down the drive it's going to be a nice day so you decide to take the cover off the horse .....

......while wearing high heels you notice the gate to the sheep paddock has been left open and the sheep have wandered down the road.

Your work mates have their fingernails painted....yours are stained with iodine or purple...

You look forward to work after a long weekend ....so you can have a rest.

Your workmates look at your lamb sandwiches with envy and tell you about the last time they could afford a lamb roast.

You look forward to a Rainy week.

Shopping ....Coastlands or Farmlands.

You take a pig bucket to work because your coworkers throw away so much food in the rubbish time which can be recycled to the pigs or chickens..And you claim first dibs on the expired milk.

More
7 years 4 months ago #503074 by belinda_h
Since I work at an ag publisher, we're all like that . . . we've even planted a small vege garden outside the tea room.

More
7 years 4 months ago #503094 by Kilmoon
Hmm, I might have to add that one's favourite 'farm' clothes are no longer fit for human viewing. :D The sheep didn't mind when I finally made them into shorts, though they were all coming up to sniff/investigate the pale white things stuck in the gumboots (never seen legs before).

More
7 years 4 months ago #503255 by RaeM1
One day I was all dressed up to go to a meeting, which I had plenty of time to get to, on way out the drive noticed one of my ewes in a faraway paddock straining to have a lamb, so stopped the car, motored over the paddocks in my good shoes, got to ewe, and managed to pull twins out, then had to carry them back across the two paddocks to the cattle yards, where I checked the ewes teats, and gave them a small drink, went back to car, to waiting hubby, we turned the car around back to the house, into the shower, found clean clothes, and off we went. Thankgoodness I was not really late for the meeting. By the way those clothes took a fair bit of washing to get all the yellow lamb stuff off them. But the main thing is I saved twins, and that was number 1 for me.

More
7 years 4 months ago #503264 by Kiwi303
Sitting on the back seat of the car is a pair of tatty overalls to go over your good clothes if emergencies crop up.

Ok, Mine are for working on the rustbucket if it breaks down en route, but it could also fit seeing something messy on the way out the drive.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
7 years 4 months ago #503275 by Anakei
Buying things you don't need now but know you will need later when you have your block.
I have just bought a humane poultry killer for my "bottom drawer" and I am eying up stainless steel milking buckets. I have a kit set top bar bee hive and a beautiful Haws watering can, and a set of Crocs wellies bought on sale...all still in their wrappings..[:I]

Pinterest boards - garden, goats, chickens, rabbits, bees oh and fermentation.

1st of March today so only 4 months to go till I'm back in NZ :D

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

Time to create page: 0.209 seconds