Carb Loaded: A Culture Dying to Eat

More
7 years 4 months ago #39173 by Organix
This doco available free to watch for the next week or so. Good dietary advice though the presentation is a bit cheesey.

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 4 months ago #502455 by kindajojo
Meat and three vege.....the traditional dinner is no so bad then .........and the English breakfast.....

More
7 years 4 months ago #502458 by Blueberry

kindajojo;508470 wrote: Meat and three vege.....the traditional dinner is no so bad then .........and the English breakfast.....

not bad at all - our forefathers knew what was good for us- it's just the last couple of generations that have given up healthy eating in favor of fashionable eating...

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

More
7 years 4 months ago #502485 by kai
My approach is eat what humans evolved to eat: fish, meat, berries, nuts. Sugar and wheat was added to the diet only in recent years.
The only time I have lost weight was following a low carbohydrate diet.
I am a diabetic and they are still trying to tell us to eat more carbohydrate. I prefer my meat and two veg (ie minus the potato)

More
7 years 4 months ago #502489 by Organix

kindajojo;508470 wrote: Meat and three vege.....the traditional dinner is no so bad then .........and the English breakfast.....

That's exactly what this doco promotes except go light on the breakfast's toast and potential added sugar in the baked beans. Same message as Cereal Killers and this week supported by British researchers .

Another highly rated movie focussing on modern dietary perils is Fed Up

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
7 years 4 months ago #502502 by Anakei
For 20 years i followed the low fat dietary guidelines. I was always borderline overweight, and yoyo'd up and down 5 or 6 kgs, always hungry, obsesive about food and as I got older, started to get low blood sugar drops between meals which caused cold sweats, shakes and irritability.
Then 5 years ago I read a book called Sweet Poison which explained my symptoms. I tried low carb and suddenly things became better. My weight stabilised, I don't get the low blood sugar jitters, I can miss a meal without getting famished and I have plenty of energy. Wiith more research I morphed into Primal/Paleo way of eating which (unlike Atkins) emphasized eating unprocessed foods. Now I eat meat, fish and eggs, plenty of vegetables and a little fruit, fats such as olive oil, coconut oil and butter, and ( because I don't have a problem with it) milk and cheese in moderation. When people ask about the way I eat I say I do JERF - Just Eat Real Food.

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

More
7 years 4 months ago #502505 by muri
We were out the other night, and reading a book about what toxins are in various foods. There were 17 different toxins in canned baby food, what a great start to life !

More
7 years 4 months ago #502511 by Blueberry
Weston A Price has a shortlist for that:

www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/abcs-.../dietary-guidelines/

www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/abcs-...ion/dietary-dangers/

isn't it funny how his findings have been vilified for years, and are now proven right, one after the other?

[;)] Blueberry

More
7 years 4 months ago #502515 by LongRidge
muri, there are about 10 natural chemicals in organic apples that are poisonous in excess. Potatoes are hugely worse because of solanin. If the solanin had been found before potatoes became a staple food, potatoes would have been absolutely banned.
I like meat, and used to be 108 kg ..... which is not good for a T1 diabetic with a heart murmur. By going from a "normal" (whatever that is) diet with meat in it to a high complex carbohydrate diet I lost 25 kg, which made getting fit much easier.
So, what is very important is to keep food intake adequate (whatever that means).

More
7 years 4 months ago #502519 by morioka

More
7 years 4 months ago #502531 by kindajojo

Anakei;508524 wrote: For 20 years i followed the low fat dietary guidelines. I was always borderline overweight, and yoyo'd up and down 5 or 6 kgs, always hungry, obsesive about food and as I got older, started to get low blood sugar drops between meals which caused cold sweats, shakes and irritability.
Then 5 years ago I read a book called Sweet Poison which explained my symptoms. I tried low carb and suddenly things became better. My weight stabilised, I don't get the low blood sugar jitters, I can miss a meal without getting famished and I have plenty of energy. Wiith more research I morphed into Primal/Paleo way of eating which (unlike Atkins) emphasized eating unprocessed foods. Now I eat meat, fish and eggs, plenty of vegetables and a little fruit, fats such as olive oil, coconut oil and butter, and ( because I don't have a problem with it) milk and cheese in moderation. When people ask about the way I eat I say I do JERF - Just Eat Real Food.

What I find difficult is people who say it's so expensive to eat healthy food.......yet the fork out constantly for processed rubbish...and eat all day....I find 'eating food that remembers where it came from' ....you eat less because you don't have the cravings...its easy to eat just breakfast, lunch and dinner no snacks in between....unless an apple, carrot, apricot. At this time of the year fruit and vege's can be really cheap...dinner tonight is a 30 cent cob of corn with real butter and maybe an egg or a fresh strawberry smoothie..

More
7 years 4 months ago #502537 by Deanna

kai;508505 wrote: My approach is eat what humans evolved to eat: fish, meat, berries, nuts. Sugar and wheat was added to the diet only in recent years.
The only time I have lost weight was following a low carbohydrate diet.
I am a diabetic and they are still trying to tell us to eat more carbohydrate. I prefer my meat and two veg (ie minus the potato)

I have to agree, the easiest time I ever lost weight was by omitting, potatoes, rice and flour. I ate plenty of anything else, normal healthy food and remember never feeling deprived, which helps as that's a killer. :)

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
7 years 4 months ago #502539 by Anakei
Kindajojo

What I find difficult is people who say it's so expensive to eat healthy food

I so agree. Since cutting out processed food I can afford to buy better quality food eg organic vegies and better cuts of meat, though often I will end up with cheaper meat because it lends itself long slow delicious cooking!
One of my main drivers in returning to NZ is to be able to grow as much food as I can so that I can be sure that I am getting the freshest organic food possible.

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

More
7 years 4 months ago #502669 by Blueberry

morioka;508545 wrote: Stop eating food NOW! you'll kill yourself otherwise

l][;)]

stop breathing ! - it could kill you... :D [;)]

www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11251714

[;)] Blueberry

More
7 years 4 months ago #502674 by kai

Deanna;508567 wrote: I have to agree, the easiest time I ever lost weight was by omitting, potatoes, rice and flour. I ate plenty of anything else, normal healthy food and remember never feeling deprived, which helps as that's a killer. :)

My own description of my diet then, was do not eat anything white. (OK maybe cauliflower was the exception). But it was an easy thing to follow.

Time to create page: 0.221 seconds