My Internet is super slow I need to know why! HELP!

• Alexandrea Edwardson
9 years 1 month ago #39114 by Alexandrea Edwardson
My Internet is super slow I need to know why! HELP! was created by Alexandrea Edwardson
Any techy peeps here who can help me fix my internet connection? I don't know if it is my router or switch that needs to be changed or fixed. My Internet is very fast but now its very slow and I don't know what to do.. I recently had problems with my router and I'm not sure if it is the reason why my internet is like this, my brother knows all the details but he's not here so I'm stuck. He told me to buy either a router or switch i just forgot which one! thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 month ago #502010 by kernels
The router connects you to the internet, the switch connects the computers at your house together.

Slow internet I would usually associate with the router, but all the times I have had issues, the router was either working fine or completely dead.

More
9 years 1 month ago #502018 by LongRidge
With Farmside, we sometimes have days, and times of days that are slow.

More
9 years 1 month ago #502021 by Hawkspur
Do you know whether any of your neighbours are also affected? In some areas, because the available capacity is small, if one house in the area is using a lot at once, it can leave the others with a very slow service temporarily.

More
9 years 1 month ago #502036 by kai
it would help if you could say if you are on dial up, ADSL, cable or satellite.

Have you tried ringing your internet provider?

More
9 years 1 month ago #502037 by kai

LongRidge;507969 wrote: With Farmside, we sometimes have days, and times of days that are slow.

And if it is foggy you are lucky to get a connection at all :(

More
9 years 4 weeks ago #502104 by Sharona Christobel
Let me first tell you that both routers and switches are computer networking device that allows one or more computers to be connected to other PC's. The main difference? While routers can accommodate both wired or wireless networks, switches on the other hand is only workable with wired networking connections.

So, I would probably say that router seems to be the problem in this case.

I am not an IT expert and just need to learn this stuff so feel free to correct me.

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #502156 by Sharona Christobel
Let me first tell you that both routers and switches are computer networking device that allows one or more computers to be connected to other PC's. The main difference? While routers can accommodate both wired or wireless networks, switches on the other hand is only workable with wired networking connections.

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #502161 by Mich
Hi Alexandrea - what does your ISP say? Is there any work being done on your local cabinet that might account for the slow speed. In my experience, it helps to eliminate either of those before automatically blaming your own equipment. :D
Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

• Alexandrea Edwardson
9 years 3 weeks ago #502182 by Alexandrea Edwardson
Replied by Alexandrea Edwardson on topic My Internet is super slow I need to know why! HELP!

Sharona Christobel;508125 wrote: Let me first tell you that both routers and switches are computer networking device that allows one or more computers to be connected to other PC's. The main difference? While routers can accommodate both wired or wireless networks, switches on the other hand is only workable with wired networking connections.

That's very straightforward. So I guess ours is a router. Anyway, my next problem is where to buy routers. I've seen some ads and was thinking of buying here . Do any of you know if they are reliable? I also use this connection for my work so I need to have this fixed ASAP. BTW, it isn't the ISP since my neighbors can connect just fine.

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #502184 by Kiwi303
ASAP? drop into town to the nearest hole-in-the-wall computer supplies store run by nerds, usually they have names like "Doc PC" or "Compu-Whizzo"

Unless you know what you want and the specs of the equipment, avoid the big stores like Hardly Normal or Noel Lemmings, their sales staff are often cluless and make stuff up to sound better.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #502226 by Sharona Christobel

Alexandrea Edwardson;508153 wrote: . BTW, it isn't the ISP since my neighbors can connect just fine.

I can feel the frustration. When everyone else's is fine and yours is not.

Anway, try to look what you need in computer supplies store. Might be a lot cheaper, Cisco on the other hand has a good reputation, I believe.

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #502234 by ButerrLover
Generally more details are needed to determine the problem. How old is the router? How old are your filters? Have you done an isolation test (disconnect everything and connect them back one by one to see if you can pin point the device that is causing problems)?

If your router is old as in more than 3-5 years then yes a new router is probably recommended. Least expensive places while convenient to get them would be Mighty Ape or Trademe, or if you know the specs you want then Pricespy will give you a good comparison of what different retailers offer.

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #502284 by arnie.m

Alexandrea Edwardson;507953 wrote: Any techy peeps here who can help me fix my internet connection? I don't know if it is my router or switch that needs to be changed or fixed. My Internet is very fast but now its very slow and I don't know what to do.. I recently had problems with my router and I'm not sure if it is the reason why my internet is like this, my brother knows all the details but he's not here so I'm stuck. He told me to buy either a router or switch i just forgot which one! thanks!

Same problem here. It is obviously a heat problem. Wrapped a frozen cooler block in a tea towel and put router on that, it fixed the problem. Now the weather has cooled a bit, it is fine. This also happened a year or two ago, but the router got too hot and damaged it, so had to buy a new one.[:(!]

Temps over 24 seem to be the problem.

arnie
88 Valley
Nelson

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds