Another new car question

More
7 years 5 months ago #38999 by ronnie
We are also in the market for a new car but we have slightly different requirements to Andrea hence the new thread.

we are looking for a mid size vehicle as we attend markets and need to carry a lot of gear. Hubby will also eventually use it for work (around 120km round trip) and as a good car. We do already have a van so not wanting another one of those.

have looked at most makes through the dealers and have rejected them for various reasons. The new Holdens are far too narrow - need to get my large sales table in the boot - and table will just not fit.

Needs to be an automatic as hubby incapable of driving a manual (by choice). Back seats need to fold flat (not on an upward angle) and need to fit the market umbrella

Current car (Nissan Bluebird) has been wonderful but at nearly 500,000k we think its time for a new one. He will keep this one for work until it gets too expensive for WOFs

Currently looking at a Ford Mondeo Zetec ( I like the hatchbacks) 2L Diesel model as it appears to tick most of our boxes - wide, auto, cheap to run, heaps of boot space etc.

Any other models we should be looking at? Hubby not keen on a station wagon so its been a real effort to get him to even look at a hatchback.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 5 months ago #500826 by jeannielea
Replied by jeannielea on topic Another new car question
Have you looked at hyundai? We have had several over the years and never had a complaint. At present have an i30 estate. Heaps of room and economic (ours is a deisel and has done 150000kms over 5 years) The estates are harder to get though.

More
7 years 5 months ago #500829 by kernels
Replied by kernels on topic Another new car question
If you want a bit more of a 'country feel', you can also look at the Suzuki Vitaras, good on fuel, 4wd when you need it and in the model that I had the rear seats folded completely flat for loads of loading space.

The only thing to be aware of with any of the modern diesels is the DPF (diesel particulate filter), this is supposed to catch all the diesel smoke and burn it off every now and then. They don't last forever and they cost a fortune to replace. Before buying any diesel vehicle I would research whether they are known for DPF problems.

More
7 years 5 months ago #500830 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Another new car question
Midsize? hmm, Nissan wise either the Maxima, 350GT or 250GT might do, the Fuga is likely too big.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
7 years 5 months ago #500880 by ronnie
Replied by ronnie on topic Another new car question
thanks jeannielea - I am keen on the Hyundai or Kia but OH won't even look at those :rolleyes:

Kernels - that is very useful info - thanks for that.

Kiwi303 - really need a hatch as we struggle to get enough stock in the sedan as it is. Plus looking at a newer (2010 or 2011) model as it needs to have low mileage to start with. The ones you mention only seem to be 2005 or 2006.

I am really keen on a Honda CRV but OH not keen on driving an SUV every day for work hence the Mondeo seems to be a good compromise.

More
7 years 5 months ago #500887 by jeannielea
Replied by jeannielea on topic Another new car question
That's funny because the hyundai is OH's car and I have a Kia Rio! Also deisel and I love it. Small car but lots of space for size. Why pay more for something when there are tried and true cheaper ones!

More
7 years 5 months ago #500888 by ronnie
Yes, I know [;)] but he has a mental block about these things and there is no shifting him [}:)]- believe me, I have tried

More
7 years 5 months ago #500969 by Maungamutu
Replied by Maungamutu on topic Another new car question

ronnie;506622 wrote:

Currently looking at a Ford Mondeo Zetec ( I like the hatchbacks) 2L Diesel model as it appears to tick most of our boxes - wide, auto, cheap to run, heaps of boot space etc.

Any other models we should be looking at? Hubby not keen on a station wagon so its been a real effort to get him to even look at a hatchback.

I in the past did like the look of mondeo's, but after working on a few lately I'd be a bit wary without some sort of warranty

Kiwi obviously has an affection with Nissan's, I personally don't but that's just me.

But my theory on vehicles having been in the trade for 35 years swinging spanners and on the sales side is that you judge every car on its own merits which can equate to

Age (def don't buy pre 2000 now)
Mileage
Level of care from previous owners (being garaged etc)
SERVICE HISTORY (proven)
Number of owners and how frequent it has changed hands
Obvious condition in and out
Availability of a relevant service agent
etc etc

More
7 years 5 months ago #500974 by ccrk9
Replied by ccrk9 on topic Another new car question
I bought a used Hyundai 2ltre suv 4 months ago. Brilliant. Reasonably economic and got a good price on a low mileage, tidy 4 year old vehicle. Love it.

The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable
living from a small piece of land. ~ Abraham Lincoln ~

More
7 years 5 months ago #500975 by ccrk9
Replied by ccrk9 on topic Another new car question
Forgot to say, itsautomatic and the seats fold flat, which we needed. Its a Tucson but the replacement model is now the i30 and i35

The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable
living from a small piece of land. ~ Abraham Lincoln ~

More
7 years 5 months ago #501397 by ronnie
Well, hubby got talked into a station wagon after all. SIL has one for work and she does huge Km's as a company rep and she raves about hers so we got a 2L Mondeo diesel wagon. Picking it up sometime over the next few days [;)] :D :D :D

More
7 years 5 months ago #501414 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Another new car question

ronnie;507282 wrote: Well, hubby got talked into a station wagon after all. SIL has one for work and she does huge Km's as a company rep and she raves about hers so we got a 2L Mondeo diesel wagon. Picking it up sometime over the next few days [;)] :D :D :D

Luckily fuel prices are dropping then!:rolleyes:[}:)]

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Time to create page: 0.206 seconds