Advice on new car please

• Andrea
7 years 5 months ago #38992 by Andrea
Advice on new car please was created by Andrea
We are needing to get a new-to-us commuter car. Would prefer to step into the 21st Century with this purchase! :D

DH and DS commute 120 kms return each weekday. Mostly open road driving, till they hit town, and it's a lot of stop/start driving. They would prefer a manual transmission, with decent boot/rear space (they haul a lot of stuff home from town). Currently driving a 4-door Toyota Starlet hatchback, 1996 1.3L, poor performer on the road - wimpy engine, not very fuel efficient for a small car. Safe as possible, of course.

Would like 1.5L preferably (hopefully more fuel efficient for the type of driving?), and one that can tow a small trailer on occasion.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 5 months ago #500716 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Advice on new car please
I like Nissans.

Pulsar would suit, enough power, enough economy.

More economy and less power look at the March and Micra.

On the other hand, there is the perennial Suzuki Swift.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
7 years 5 months ago #500717 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Advice on new car please
I had a feeling you would say Nissan, Kiwi! We are really happy with the Serena we've had for the last 4 years. I'm surprised at the Suzuki, though.... thought they didn't have a very good crash test rating?

More
7 years 5 months ago #500719 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Advice on new car please
I agree about Suzuki Swift, really bad crash rating and so I wouldnt touch.
I have a 1.5 nissan wingroad stat wagon.
I bought it second hand and have had no issues in the 5 - 6 years I have owned it.
I think its 1.5 litre and its manual, pulls the trailer with 1/2 cu m of stones or potting mix.
However, if I was doing that amount of driving daily, I might look at something you can put into four wheel drive so you have more secure road holding in inclement conditions.
Before I purchased, I asked my garage which cars he saw coming back time and time again for repairs and Suburu was high on the list and nissan lowest on the list

More
7 years 5 months ago #500725 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Advice on new car please
I would definitely recommend a suzuki swift, Had one a for about 3 years until we changed recently. The quality of the build is good and it is a very versatile car, it runs on the whiff of an oily rag. We had a towbar on it, so if we needed to transport a large load we could, it was only a 1.2 and did not like a heavy load in the trailer going up a steep hill, but it still got there. In the time we had it, it had a couple of services a set of new tyres and new wipers, that was it.
We have changed to a sporty kia cerato koup, which whilst I do not think is the model for you I would recommend a Kia to anyone. The attention to detail and safety is huge. And you get a lot for your money.

More
7 years 5 months ago #500726 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Advice on new car please
Really bad for the Swift?

I had to go check...

EURO NCAP test. 2009 and earlier models: adults 4/5, child 3/5, pedestrian 3/4

Not great but not bad either...

2010 and later models get the full 5 stars.

Indian NCAP of the local production car badged as a Swift by a collaboration between Suzuki and a local company named Maruit, 0/5

Terrible.

But not the same car as we have here.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
7 years 5 months ago #500727 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Advice on new car please
kkwi303 thank you, just shows that the first google results are rarely the most accurate.
We bought it on its safety rating and fuel economy and because it felt like driving a big car even though it isn't. You can fit a lot in the back with the seats down.

More
7 years 5 months ago #500769 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic Advice on new car please
We have just bought a manual 2004 Toyota Corolla 1.8. OH very pleased with it. I don't like manuals! Very economical commuting about 120 k round trip each day. Good size boot. Has towbar

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
7 years 5 months ago #500775 by kalnetta
Replied by kalnetta on topic Advice on new car please
Have sent a Pm.

View Hill Oxford ,23 ewes 2 lambs ,1 ram,, 1cat,the 2 of us,6 granddaughters,one grandson,2 surrogate granddaughters and one step grandson,poor boy.

More
7 years 5 months ago #500776 by kernels
Replied by kernels on topic Advice on new car please
Go Japanese, stay far far far away from anything european, that includes small Holdens (Opel).

Nissan / Toyota / Suzuki are all good cars.

I would look at the mid size station wagons for a good combination of economy, comfort and loading space. Something like a Toyota Caldina / Corolla, Nissan Wingroad or the Swift.

A good manual in any of these is likely to set you back a grand or two over the auto version, but doing long distance k's where you are not changing gears much, the manual is the way to go.

More
7 years 5 months ago #500795 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Advice on new car please
THanks everyone... going car shopping on Monday (I HATE shopping, especially car shopping, so it's been great to get good advice from here).

We've always gone Japanese, great wee cars... BUT the Toyota Starlet with little engine (1.3) is SO wimpy, it's the only thing we can think of that's getting it such poor fuel efficiency. My 1.8L Nissan Serena van gets better mileage.

Thanks, Kalnetta, have emailed you (only addy I have is via xtra.... is that still correct?).

More
7 years 5 months ago #500799 by kalnetta
Replied by kalnetta on topic Advice on new car please
Yes it is.

View Hill Oxford ,23 ewes 2 lambs ,1 ram,, 1cat,the 2 of us,6 granddaughters,one grandson,2 surrogate granddaughters and one step grandson,poor boy.

More
7 years 5 months ago #500819 by arnie.m
Replied by arnie.m on topic Advice on new car please
Andrea, we purchased the new model 1.5 highly rated Honda Jazz or more accurately my wife did. Really happy with it and had more boot space than any of the others in that spec range. 5.6KM per 100km's in the country and 6 in town. 5 year guarantee swayed us. Have now done around 1500km's

arnie
88 Valley
Nelson

More
7 years 5 months ago #500973 by ccrk9
Replied by ccrk9 on topic Advice on new car please
Have a look at the smaller Huyundai models. I have a suv from them and love it. Wouldnt mind a small car as well, although the suv is very economical to run, huge luggage room and only a 2litre

The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable
living from a small piece of land. ~ Abraham Lincoln ~

More
7 years 5 months ago #500987 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Advice on new car please
I scored a near new Toyota Corolla stationwagon off Trade Me about two years ago, never regretted it. Comfortable, lots of room but not too big to use around town, all the bells and whistles and very fuel efficient. Only 1.5L but only an issue when it is stuffed to the gunwales and tackling a big hill. Otherwise, a great little drive around the place, and very reliable.

Got it at 30,000km and now up to 81,000 [}:)]

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Time to create page: 0.228 seconds