Do not sleep with your front door open at night....

More
7 years 5 months ago #38983 by ccrk9
or you may get up to a surprise.

It was hot again last night so we left the front door open with the childproof gate in it and the curtain pulled over it. The was a thump or bump around midnight which I put down to one of our cats coming in thru the barrier. The dogs didn't bark.
Then there was a few thumps and bumps in the house like the cats were playing with a rabbit or rat.

I got up but didn't see any movement in the moonlight.

this morning hubby said we had a ginger kitten in the living room! I thought he was teasing but no, sure enough the dogs had a tracked a kitten in the living room. It shot thru to the office where hubby managed to get a good grip on its scruff and shove it into a cat cage.

It was behaving like a crazy wild thing (understandably).

It calmed down a bit so we set it up in a dog crate in the sleepout and fed it. I went back out to check on it to find it had escaped from my escape proof crate and was sitting behind it purring loudly. It came out and looked like it was going to approach me but saw one of our adult cats and went into hiding. I can see where it got out of the crate so will try and fix that and re capture it.

I had thought it was a wild baby from one of the colonies on the farm next door or up on the river bank but I am having my doubts now. Will be interesting to see how it reacts in the next 24 hours.

I sent out a txt alert to neighbours just in case it does belong somewhere.

And the whole thing is a certain mans fault, as he said the other day it would be nice to have a ginger cat again (we had one, whom I took to the final trip to the vet a few years back aged 21 years). Men!

The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable
living from a small piece of land. ~ Abraham Lincoln ~

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 5 months ago #500628 by Ruth
If I leave mine open, there are geese in the kitchen!

More
7 years 5 months ago #500629 by ccrk9
Hehe, well at least that's not a problem I have here Ruth :-)

I just cant believe it came into the house with other adult cats and two dogs. Brave wee soul. I suspect 8 - 10 weeks old. Sigh.

More
7 years 5 months ago #500630 by kernels
I made some light wooden frames with some of that insect mesh from Mitre10, about $10 all up to do a 2mx1.2m frame and allows us to sleep with the ranch slider open without getting eaten alive by the mozzies!

More
7 years 5 months ago #500631 by ccrk9
My other problem is I must get it securely caged as one of our adult cats sleeps in the sleepout at night. We have to lock him up at night or he picks fights with our other two cats (our female hates him), or goes off and gets into trouble elsewhere, costing me vet bills for abscesses.

This adult cat was another that wandered onto the property one Christmas while I was away and a certain person (male) fed it.....
when I came home I found a lovely smooch cat and I tried desperately to get local SPCA to take him, but they kept saying could I hang on to him another week. After several weeks I gave up and got him neutered and 6 years later he is still here.

I am thinking cats see sucker tattooed on our foreheads.....

More
7 years 5 months ago #500637 by katieb

Ruth;506439 wrote: If I leave mine open, there are geese in the kitchen!

cant leave the ranch slider open here more than 2 inches during the day or the cats food disapears & theres a deposit from MC(the mini chicken...game banty) on the carpet

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
7 years 5 months ago #500643 by Ruth
I discovered an egg on my bed more than once ... And a bantam once nested in the wardrobe, because the door was always open during the day.

More
7 years 5 months ago #500697 by jeannielea
A couple of nights ago I was sitting reading the paper and felt something touch my bare foot. thought it was an insect but when I felt it again I looked down and saw....a tiny hedgehog! All doors were open but neither of us saw it come in.

More
More
7 years 5 months ago #500721 by muri
And then there all the things the cat brings into your bedroom when you leave the door open.
Mine doesnt chase birds but it loves rabbits and i have had a few of them in my bedroom, alive though

More
7 years 5 months ago #500736 by Kiwi303
we've had a possum in the foyer/coat room.

mum nipped round through the other door to close that one, nipped back to wake me, and I had to chase it round the room with welding gloves to catch and kill it.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
7 years 5 months ago #500972 by ccrk9
Kitten moved from sleepout to large dog crate in living room to get used to house noises, dogs and other cats. No sign of owner looking for it.:-)

More
7 years 5 months ago #501018 by max2
We have a large 3 leaf bifold door in our bedroom and this gets left open during the night but not the front door nor the french doors in the dining/lounge areas.

The only surprise I have had was my neighbours dog at midnight. It was back here again last night near my daughter's bedroom window.

More
7 years 5 months ago #501029 by Ruth
I have a suggested fix for that particular problem. [}:)]

More
7 years 5 months ago #501080 by max2

Ruth;506871 wrote: I have a suggested fix for that particular problem. [}:)]

Yes it will be happening here very soon if it continues. They have already been warned by another neighbour using most expressive language in front of the children so I am surprised they are allowing the dog to wander after dark.

Time to create page: 0.246 seconds