How to brighten dark bathroom

More
8 years 11 months ago #38963 by hilldweller
This house has some lovely features. None of them are in the bathroom :( which is badly laid out, badly appointed, poorly finished, has a tiny south-facing window and needs electric light even on a bright sunny day[:(!]. Current paint is a sand colour in a flat matt finish. As a quick cheap-ish fix I'm considering repainting bright white with say a semi-gloss finish, but given that it's not a dark colour to start with how much difference would that really make? Would I be wasting my time?

hilldweller

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago #500470 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic How to brighten dark bathroom
Bright white and a mirror or two? Bounce the window's light around the room a few times.

West or East coast sand???

More
8 years 11 months ago #500476 by spoook
I second the mirrors, as many as the room can take.
My bathroom is in a white exterior gloss. Had no problems on all the years it has been painted this way.

How close is the roof above the bathroom? Could you create a skylight?

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
8 years 11 months ago #500484 by sarniagirl
solar tubes are amazing things and not as expensive as you may think.The difference in my mums bathroom was amazing and she had no windows.

More
8 years 11 months ago #500485 by Deanna

sarniagirl;506274 wrote: solar tubes are amazing things and not as expensive as you may think.The difference in my mums bathroom was amazing and she had no windows.

We have put a large one in recently approx $1400, and its worked amazingly.

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
8 years 11 months ago #500486 by Edenview
I agree we built a tiny bathroom up stairs it had no windows but the solar tube made it so light even at nights still let in light if the moon was out.

Sent from my GT-S6500D using Tapatalk 2

More
8 years 11 months ago #500493 by kai
Replied by kai on topic How to brighten dark bathroom
I would definitely go for a solar tube, I have seen the difference they can make, I have toyed with adding one to our hallway which has no windows and only gets light if you leave the doors open.

More
8 years 11 months ago #500506 by Hawkspur
+1 for solar tubes. They are very efficient.

Repainting from sand to white won't make a huge difference.

How big is the existing window relative to the size if the room? (m2)
Is it shaded by trees/verandah etc?

More
8 years 11 months ago #500514 by hilldweller
Got really excited about the solar tube idea and then realised there's a high storage cupboard, accessed from the hallway, above the bathroom. It would be worth investigating how much depth the tubes can cope with, but as part of a medium term bathroom overhaul. For now I want cheap and cheerful. Hadn't thought of mirrors. That would be doable. Still tempted to paint as well though.

hilldweller

More
8 years 11 months ago #500526 by Kilmoon
If we stay at our place then eventually I'll be tearing the house down and rebuilding (told hubby I'm not growing old in the house he grew up in....it or us have to go). In the meantime I'm painting everything (outside done, inside slowly getting there room by room), as it just adds such a zing to a place to have it fresh looking, rather than stuck in whatever decade it was last decorated in. Paint and your time aren't expensive in the greater scheme of things.

More
8 years 11 months ago #500533 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic How to brighten dark bathroom
Put in a bigger window.... clear glass not the frosted sort. Or even just change the glass if it is the frosted sort. We have clear glass in our bathrooms and WC and its awesome. White venetians set into the window frame so anyone showering can have a bit of privacy (people tend to turn up when someone is in the shower).

More
8 years 10 months ago #500577 by tonybaker
if it's a wooden bungalow, putting in a bigger window is no big deal. Get a second hand one, you could double glaze it before putting it in?

A white ceiling is a must, glossy as....

My number one requisite in a bathroom is a shower dome, saves all that mould and dripping walls.

With the advent of LED lighting, it's not such a biggie to have the lights on, I guess you shower when its dark, morning or evening?

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
8 years 10 months ago #500589 by Andrea1

tonybaker;506381 wrote: if it's a wooden bungalow, putting in a bigger window is no big deal. Get a second hand one, you could double glaze it before putting it in?

A white ceiling is a must, glossy as....

My number one requisite in a bathroom is a shower dome, saves all that mould and dripping walls.

With the advent of LED lighting, it's not such a biggie to have the lights on, I guess you shower when its dark, morning or evening?

Bigger window! We did this, it was very easy to do, and there's a place on Waltham (just past the over bridge, on the right going toward Brougham) that will make up cottage style windows in single or double glazed, whatever size you want.

We had the same issues: tiny room, tiny window, South facing. We have a large mirror on one wall and the larger window, and it's made a really big difference for not a lot of cash.

More
8 years 10 months ago #500638 by hilldweller
Thanks guys. Lots of good ideas. The structural ones will have to wait until budget permits a bit of a revamp but in the meantime I think I will try paint and mirrors. Though if someone were to accidentally break the window I'd definitely replace the bubbly glass with clear and a blind for privacy. Never been a fan of bubbly glass. Was cleaning the vanity this morning and decided flat matt paint really isn't a good idea for wall areas that are inevitably going to be splashed and need wiping down so even if the colour change isn't great there will be benefit in moving to a semi/gloss.

Bloody awful vanity drew blood two days ago, literally. The room is plenty big enough but for some reason the vanity has been shoved into a corner with only a few inches of space between it and the bath in which to stand while brushing your teeth etc. So forced to stand too close I turned around and the cheap nasty handle whacked into my leg. If it happens again budget priorities may have to be rearranged!

hilldweller

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds