Defibrillators

More
7 years 7 months ago #38795 by kai
Defibrillators was created by kai
I don't want to hijack the recent serious heart attack post, but it did bring to mind a topic that many may not know about.

We all know that in the case of a heart attack, the best possible outcome is rapid treatment. This could involve CPR or de-fibrillation. There are places dotted around that have one. Until sue pointed out the link for the map where your local place is I would not have known where the closest ones are. I am lucky that the local one is about the same distance from the ambulance station, but it make me wonder how many people who were walking down the high street would not know where to go if the worst happened and as the Kapiti coast is a retirement place and I am sure it has a high need.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #498866 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Defibrillators
Damn. I posted, and my post disappeared into the ether!

Oxford Community Health Centre has one and a number of on-call staff who know how to use it, and earlier this year DH's employer and the other business which share their building (about 20 people in all) bought one and trained everyone in using it. Hope DH never needs it!

More
7 years 7 months ago #498874 by shad297
Replied by shad297 on topic Defibrillators
I've just done a first aid course with St John's here in Palmy and although there are quite a few dotted about there should be far more. We were told where they all were by our tutor. I was the one who actually got put on the spot and had to use one on a mannequin - the pads didn't go where I thought and no I obviously wasn't paying enough attention as I panicked a bit, but then calmed down and followed the instructions. CPR won't restart the heart (in all but 5-8% of cases) but will keep the blood flowing to vital organs until a defib/ambulance can get there. It is well worth learning and is very straightforward although physically demanding (CPR). I think they are approx $2000 each.

Husband, two teenagers, Stanley & Jed the greyhounds, one quail (Hawkefrost), one budgie (Chaos) small productive surburban section.

More
7 years 7 months ago #498913 by Aquila
Replied by Aquila on topic Defibrillators
Defibs are handy but they don't cure everything. I've done CPR 3 times and only one was successful. One was my late mother in law who had a myocardial infarction (Where one of the valve walls parted company) During CPR she would wake up and come back, Stop CPR and she'd die. We did CPR for over an hour (found her on the floor and started CPR, CPR in the ambulance to hospital all the way into surgery on the bed as they wheeled us through) Heart surgeon called the stop.

Bloody hard work (3 of us)and the defib wouldn't work as she wasn't fibrillating.

More
7 years 7 months ago #498926 by kalnetta
Replied by kalnetta on topic Defibrillators
Andrea,The super market has one and the fire brigade.

View Hill Oxford ,23 ewes 2 lambs ,1 ram,, 1cat,the 2 of us,6 granddaughters,one grandson,2 surrogate granddaughters and one step grandson,poor boy.

More
7 years 7 months ago #498982 by Baroque
Replied by Baroque on topic Defibrillators
I made them get defibs for our 2 work sites and we got training for them, they are checked frequently as part of our ongoing H&S.

If you didn't already know there is an app for droid and iOS which gives locations of all AEDs in NZ.

The Droid one is called AED locations and is free from the app store. :D

Breeding & training quality Spanish horses - THE horse of Kings! Also breeding Arapawa & Pitt Island sheep.

More
7 years 7 months ago #498983 by Baroque
Replied by Baroque on topic Defibrillators
Police, fire stations and all malls have defribs according to St Johns.[;)]

Breeding & training quality Spanish horses - THE horse of Kings! Also breeding Arapawa & Pitt Island sheep.

Time to create page: 0.260 seconds